Gluing Technique Help!

practicecactus

Reaction score
..I was just thinking ,the sore eyes.just assumed it was sitting at this computor too long,and I was gettin nose bleeds up until a while ago..but I used to get nose bleeds when i was a kid.So I didn't think anything of that either.
But the thing that really hit me just now..That upholstery guy I was talking to told me ages ago,that he had a brain tumour removed....
I'm such a dumbarse.
I'm $hitting bricks now.

Screw Work, tomorrow , I'm going to go talk to a doctor.

Iokitek

Reaction score
Good decision :smile: I didn't mean to scare you though by starting about brain tumors. But I guess it's better to be safe than sorry.

The Good Doctor

Reaction score
practicecactus said:
..I was just thinking ,the sore eyes.just assumed it was sitting at this computor too long,and I was gettin nose bleeds up until a while ago..but I used to get nose bleeds when i was a kid.So I didn't think anything of that either.
But the thing that really hit me just now..That upholstery guy I was talking to told me ages ago,that he had a brain tumour removed....
I'm such a dumbarse.
I'm $hitting bricks now.

Screw Work, tomorrow , I'm going to go talk to a doctor.
I would also venture to guess that if it was a spray glue and you were not wearing your mask that you will want a chest Xray. Lung Cancer and the like could be brewing in there. But the nose bleeds, head aches, and the like are strong indicators that you may want to investigate the company you work for.

I worked in a printing factory, and we used a lot of chemicals and I am not just talking about 3 different kinds of ink eather, there were at least 15 different chemicals that I used every day. They used the powder to help the ink dry ( it was some kind of industrial corn starch). The powder blew through the press, and mixed with the oil, ink, dirt and other paper particles and chemicals and was in the air all around us. They then had these water spraywers mounted in the roof which sprawed a fine mist of water over the entire company to keep the powder down, down where we were working.

I got that same kind of rash on my hands, and it took months for it it clear up. My skin leterally bubbled up in little blisters, then they burst and became scally and raw. I eventually had to wear gluves all the time.

Show and Tell

Reaction score
The Good Doctor said:
I got that same kind of rash on my hands, and it took months for it it clear up. My skin leterally bubbled up in little blisters, then they burst and became scally and raw. I eventually had to wear gluves all the time.
EEEWWWW :stick_out_tongue: Daz nasty Doc.

practicecactus

Reaction score
The Good Doctor said:
I would also venture to guess that if it was a spray glue and you were not wearing your mask that you will want a chest Xray. Lung Cancer and the like could be brewing in there. .
:concern: ..Are..are you a real doctor?

The Good Doctor

Reaction score
The doctor is in

practicecactus said:
:concern: ..Are..are you a real doctor?
No I am not a real doctor, if I was I would have never worked in that printing factory. And do not get me wrong I had a lot of fun in my Job printing harry potter trading cards.

My brother who is a doctor looked at my hands and told me it may not be from chemicals, but a type of fungus like Athleats Foot. I may have gotten it from using some one elses rubber gloves, and then the chemicals agrivated it more.

Any way, i would go to the hospital and get all checked out for real. :attitude:

Show and Tell

Reaction score
Well, I finally broke down and bought the face mask that Buck was talking about. I 've just been holding off on that expence till I got some of the other essential tools for the job but you all have scared the foam out of me. I did at least already have the powerful exhaust fan. Hey Buck how do you know when you need to change the cartridges in these things? And good grief they are expensive! Beats a brain tumor though anyday.:crazy: Sorry 'bout your job there Doc. :sympathy:

The Good Doctor

Reaction score
Rubber Cement

Does any one know if you can use rubber cement as a contact cement. I tried to use it but it eventually (rather quickly) began to come appart. Was I doing something wrong? :embarrassed:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
"Rubber cement" and "contact cement" tend to be used interchangably (I am not even sure if there is any difference). First make sure the adhesive you're using is suitable for foam; most glues should have this information on their label or packaging.

If you're using the right glue the three most commons reasons the foam doesn't stick are:

1. Glue wasn't applied to both sides of the seam you are gluing

2. The glue wasn't given enough time to cure before the pieces were stuck together, or was given too much time and dried out. With most types of all purpose contact cement you have to wait until the glue is tacky before you can stick pieces together (by 'tacky' I mean it's sticky to the touch but none comes off on your hand when you touch it).

3. The glue isn't being used at the proper temperatures; most glue won't work properly below 10 degrees C or above 40 degrees C.

Remember that foam should bond on contact when you use contact cement. There shouldn't be any need for clamping or a long cure time. If that isn't the case you are either doing something wrong or have the wrong product.

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
The Good Doctor said:
Does any one know if you can use rubber cement as a contact cement. I tried to use it but it eventually (rather quickly) began to come appart. Was I doing something wrong? :embarrassed:

i have a feeling you are using the wrong glue

if this is the common "RUBBER CEMENT" that is sold in craft and art stores it not going to do any thing for u as far as puppet building is concerned it is pretty much only good for paper prodicts,

CONTACT CEMENT will be found at a hardware store.

good luck, and read bucks comments on how to use the stuff properly