Give Bert some respect

lowerstreet

Reaction score
I like Ernie, but I've always identified with Bert more. :stick_out_tongue: :frown:

I agree people tend to like Ernie more, but perhaps he is more mischievious, while Bert is more "boring", like a parental figure.

I do like both of them, though. I agree they are best when together.

P

Princeton

Not to go too much off topic, but I think that Rod and Nicky from Avenue Q were modeled after :stick_out_tongue: and :frown: . Between B and E, I'd have to say Bert's my fav; partly because he's a total opposite of Ernie and also because, as was said before, he's very underappreciated. Now, between R and N, I love them both. Nicky because I think he's the sweetest Q character and Rod because I can do his voice DEAD ON! So, I guess I'm biased. Vive la Bert!

DTF

Reaction score
I liked Bert best, too. As a child I was always very mature, and seemed a little "boring" to kids who weren't very nice. I never got in trouble, and was always into a book. Oh, I still played and got really silly, the totally unscripted silliness of our play was total hilarity with all our action figures mix3ed together and the plots so goofy and complex... But, I always thought of the Ernie part of me as what I'd have if I had a little brother; aas I've said I always thought B&E were brothers.

As to the connection w/Aspergers, I don't know if the origianl poster will post b/c (and I know this from a couple online friends with it, plus I was never diagnosed but it's possible I have a teensy bit) he or she might not know how to explain it himself or5 be all that comfortable explaining it, but:
People with Asperger's exhibit some autistic traits but not all. They don't have the learning difficulties but really tend to "think outside the box" sometimes and can be very creative. (Michelangelo was one, so was an inventor named Trevithick who did some work early int he Industrial Revolution.)
Asperger's Syndrome causes people to cling to fictional worlds sometimes because they are more comfortable to them for the reason that the characgters always act the same, you know how things are going to be. It is hard for someone with Asperger's to make friends because they cannot read social cues, etc., very well., and so they are often worried they are doing something wrong b/c they don't know how to tell if they are. (Hence the poster apologized and you didn't know what he or she was apologizing for in this thread.)
Therefore, I would say the reason they are so special is one or both of the following:
1. B&E were a fictional duo that the person fixated on growing up, like they had alltheir skits memorized and stuff; and/or,
2. Ernie, like a child, can get on Bert's nerves sometimes. He can't seem to sense when Bert wants to be left alone/is busy/etc.. And yet, Ernie and Bert remain good friends despite this problem. Such a thing might have given the poster much more confidence to attempt to make friends/deal with problem situations because they saw Ernie do it successfully.

That sound about right?

ssetta

Reaction score
It just so happens that I have Asperger's too! And so do quite a few of us here on Muppet Central. And I think it may very well be partially the reason why we like Sesame Street at all. One thing I have noticed about people with Asperger's is that they have interests that are rather strange, but not harmful, like Sesame Street. I have gotten a LOT of flak for liking this show, and people have made fun of me a LOT over the years. Most people I know just see it as a "baby show" and nothing more. Both of my parents understand why I like it. However, I know quite a few people who simply cannot. In fact, when I was about 7 or 8, I didn't even know there was an age limit on the show, I thought it could be for anyone to watch. I didn't know until a bunch of kids in school told me. They all said different things, like, "We don't like Sesame Street! It's a stupid show! IT'S FOR BABIES! IT'S A BABY SHOW!" And honestly, I didn't even believe them. I thought they were all pulling my leg or something. And I never saw it as a show that was just for kids, I saw it as a show for everyone. In fact, I even know some parents who would not want their older kids watching that stuff. In fact, a member of Muppet Central (I won't name names) actually stayed over my house for over a month. He's very nice, but no one in his family could ever understand why he liked it so much, and his mother always tried to do what she could to get him to stop watching it. But she could never do anything, because he always watched it anyway.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
ssetta said:
It just so happens that I have Asperger's too! And so do quite a few of us here on Muppet Central. And I think it may very well be partially the reason why we like Sesame Street at all. One thing I have noticed about people with Asperger's is that they have interests that are rather strange, but not harmful, like Sesame Street. I have gotten a LOT of flak for liking this show, and people have made fun of me a LOT over the years. Most people I know just see it as a "baby show" and nothing more. Both of my parents understand why I like it. However, I know quite a few people who simply cannot. In fact, when I was about 7 or 8, I didn't even know there was an age limit on the show, I thought it could be for anyone to watch. I didn't know until a bunch of kids in school told me. They all said different things, like, "We don't like Sesame Street! It's a stupid show! IT'S FOR BABIES! IT'S A BABY SHOW!" And honestly, I didn't even believe them. I thought they were all pulling my leg or something. And I never saw it as a show that was just for kids, I saw it as a show for everyone. In fact, I even know some parents who would not want their older kids watching that stuff. In fact, a member of Muppet Central (I won't name names) actually stayed over my house for over a month. He's very nice, but no one in his family could ever understand why he liked it so much, and his mother always tried to do what she could to get him to stop watching it. But she could never do anything, because he always watched it anyway.
That's interesting. I have Asperger's too, but I had no idea it was so common on these forums.

Pug Lover

Reaction score
ssetta said:
Anyone who believes Sesame Street to be a show for babies is narrow minded if you ask me.I am 34 years old,and I currently own The Best Of Ernie & Bert and Cookie Monster's Best Bites on VHS,and Sesame Street Rock & Roll on DVD.You don't have to be a preschooler to enjoy this stuff.After all,this is a free country. :stick_out_tongue: :frown: :smile:

DTF

Reaction score
I said the same thing about VeggieTales during a devotional for kids in the one ministry I work in. They laughed when I said I love VeggieTales, but as I explained, you can get lots of enjoyment out of the humorous songs & the way in which they dom the morallesson/Bible story. A giant pickle representing Goliath. King Nebby K. Nezer and his choclate factory, and the huge chocolate statue of himself.

I think the Henson brilliance has left SS but it still remains at Big Idea.

muppet maniac

Reaction score
I don't see them seperately like that, Bert and Ernie, Batman and Robin, Bread and butter... they are a team! You can't have just the one! The Journey to Ernie bothers me, Bert needs to be there dag nabbit, Ernie needs you Bert! Get in there and show the world, Bert! Go Bert!
There will be a tv special focusing on the duo travelling around the world. Expect it to air later this year.

Sesame Workshop is producing the special with National Geographic.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Are you referring too 'Shalom Sesame?' Quite a few of them have been released on video.

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
muppet maniac said:
There will be a tv special focusing on the duo travelling around the world. Expect it to air later this year.

Sesame Workshop is producing the special with National Geographic.
Really? Neat--where did you hear about this?

:stick_out_tongue: :frown: