George in MTI

That Announcer

Reaction score
OK. George the Janitor was obviously the man that "didn't want a baked potato" in MTI. However, it seems to me that the guy blowing the horn on the front of Smollet's carriage was also George, with a different wig and a mustache. Has anyone else noticed this?

That Announcer

Reaction score
TotallySpiesFan said:
No, that was J.P. Gross.
A-ha. Gotcha. So, was George a Whatnot, and JP Grosse made from the same basic puppet head?

Gonzo14

Reaction score
wasn't George in TMCC, with a speaking role in the scrooge song

Harvey Towers

Reaction score
I don't know if George began as a whatnot, but he seems to have ended up as one; that is to say he appeared in Muppets Tonight in an Elvis sketch with a different voice for the puppet playing Benjamin Franklin (I think it was Franklin...)

minor muppetz

Reaction score
That Announcer said:
A-ha. Gotcha. So, was George a Whatnot, and JP Grosse made from the same basic puppet head?
They weren't made from the same puppet head. their mouths are too different. besides, the puppets were both used for characters who appeared on-screen together in the michelle phieffer episode of Muppets Tonight (in the first Great Moments In Elvis History).

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
Gonzo14 said:
wasn't George in TMCC, with a speaking role in the scrooge song
Yes I think he was in Muppet Christmas Carol aswell! And his lines are something like " When a cold wind blows it chills you, chills you to bone" If i remember rightly.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
What's funny is that the writers and "grabber of Muppets for a scene" forgot that George was the Janitor and we were used to a certain voice for him, and that JP Grosse owned the Muppet Theater, and was Scooter's uncle--and, based on VMX, JP Grosse is dead now.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
I think the performers just forgot about George later on in TMS and in the movies. I have no idea where he went off to when Beauregard came around. They could have worked together in TMS and become buddies, or enemies.

ryan