Gene Kelly Hated Kermit?

Infinity Sirius

Reaction score
I just finished reading Gene Kelly: A Life of Dance and Dreams by Alvin Yudkoff (1999, Backstage Books). Always on the look out for any mention of the Muppet in any of the former guest stars life (new anecdotes, jokes, or insights on the Muppeteers from an outside perspective) and Yudkoff had this to say. I quote from page 236:

"Into the middle years and into a fended-off senior-citizenship Gen Kelly worked steadily, acting or directing both. He decided that TV was not the enemy, it was easy money, and he made dozens of appearances. ... [It describes some of the appearances he made, including Pontiac specials, until we get to the Muppet mention] ... the ridiculous and even demeaning (serenading Miss Piggy and teaching Kermit the Frog to dance..."

Now since the Muppets are in parenthesis in the book, I'm thinking the author found them demeaning and not Kelly. But I could be wrong. Anyone have more insight?

SarahOnBway

Reaction score
You always have to watch out for that when reading biographies. There is no such thing as a unbiased opinion. Did Yudkoff know Gene Kelly personally? Plus, serenading Piggy and dancing with Kermit was certainly not demeaning to an actor on The Muppet Show--it's what came with the gig. And by the time Kelly was on it lots of celebs wanted on the show. It was a phenomenon (do doo do do do) and actors loved to go play and be silly with the Muppets. I've never heard of anyone saying it was demeaning. Ridiculous maybe, but in the very best sense of the word :wink:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I agree, biographies are rarely unbiased, and that does sound like the author's (flawed) opinion.

Tim

Reaction score
The truth is probably somewhere in between. Gene Kelly by all accounts was a perfectionist, opinionated, and not always the easiest man to get along with. I've seen a lot of interviews with him where his commentss about people and things seemed to contradict what one would think the real story was, and very close and associates friends have told stories completely different from what he had to say.

I susupect he felt this late in his career it was pretty silly to be singing to a pig, but he was a professional, and more than likely saw it as a free trip to Europe, good money and great exposure. I think "hate" is a strong word.

Elchippo

Reaction score
Even in his episode of TMS, the premise is all about him refusing to go on, and there's this weird tension between him and Kermit as Kermit tries convincing him to appear on the show.....anyone ever pick up on that? I realize the show was written that way but it sort of makes the episode awkward.

Krazedmuppet

Reaction score
Infinity Sirius said:
I just finished reading Gene Kelly: A Life of Dance and Dreams by Alvin Yudkoff (1999, Backstage Books). Always on the look out for any mention of the Muppet in any of the former guest stars life (new anecdotes, jokes, or insights on the Muppeteers from an outside perspective) and Yudkoff had this to say. I quote from page 236:

"Into the middle years and into a fended-off senior-citizenship Gen Kelly worked steadily, acting or directing both. He decided that TV was not the enemy, it was easy money, and he made dozens of appearances. ... [It describes some of the appearances he made, including Pontiac specials, until we get to the Muppet mention] ... the ridiculous and even demeaning (serenading Miss Piggy and teaching Kermit the Frog to dance..."

Now since the Muppets are in parenthesis in the book, I'm thinking the author found them demeaning and not Kelly. But I could be wrong. Anyone have more insight?
Sounds like our little Alvin Yudkoff had the porblem with the Muppets- Not Gene. I also think that Gene would not have done it if he thought it to be so demeaning. Gene was too big of a star to just do anything.

Krazedmuppet

Reaction score
Elchippo said:
Even in his episode of TMS, the premise is all about him refusing to go on, and there's this weird tension between him and Kermit as Kermit tries convincing him to appear on the show.....anyone ever pick up on that? I realize the show was written that way but it sort of makes the episode awkward.
John Clese did the same thing. And he helped WRITE the show. John loved it.

lol- you could just say Gene was that good of an actor (cuz he was)

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
well, who can really say for sure whe Gene Kelly Really though of the Muppets. But if that's true then get-out!!!:eek:

Vic Romano

Reaction score
I was always under the impression that (after the first season) only stars who really liked the Muppets starred on TMS because it became such a hot show. Then again, I guess agents could have booked them too. I guess the sad bottom line is that not everyone like the Muppets. But we can't hold it against those sad, depraved and twistedly warped individuals.

Frogster

Reaction score
I totally agree... but he did his best with them, even though, you can tell by his attitude on the show he wasn't exactly enthused to be there, so he may not have been one of the Show's favorite guests. Eh well, what can ya do? At least it wasn't Muppets tonight... THAT would have been worse lol.

Dave, I've sent you emails bud, hope to hear from you soon.