funny thing that just happened (re: falling figure)

fitz3641

Reaction score
ever been sitting by where you display your figures, bump into the unit, and have figures fall over? Well, happens to be fairly often, since my computer desk is directly below and surrounded by the upside-down U shaped wooden unit I use to hold all of my Simpsons stuff, MOTU stuff and Muppets figures -- the top shelf on the left holds the lab with Bunsen and the 3 beakers...well, I just bumped into my desk with my rolling chair, which knocked the unit, and stirred Invisible Beaker, the grand surprise that was in my collector's club box months ago -- for some odd reason, a protective impulse clicked in my head and before my mind really realized I was diving to catch the falling invisible beaker -- being a baseball player for many years, I used my outfield skills to catch the figure, then fall squarely on my side on the floor, at which point my mind realized that I had just dived to the floor to catch an action figure, and I began laughing :big_grin: -- anything similar ever happen to you guys?

WiGgY

Reaction score
lol I wish I cared THAT much about my figures. My Muppet figures have been played with a lot.

fitz3641

Reaction score
haha, thing is, I had no idea that deep down I cared so much about this hobby of mine until my reflex was triggered -- probably relates overall to how much cash has gone into all the wonderful stuff on these shelfs -- unrelated note, this event caused me to free up a shelf by combining piggy, kermit, crazy harry, fozzie, and gonzo onto one shelf in anticipation of series 3 hitting in the next coupla weeks

scarecroe

Reaction score
Be extra careful with Bunsen and his glasses. That's exactly how mine shattered into a million pieces (I painted the glasses back on rather than replacing them). From then on though, whenever I saw that one of my figures was goingto fall more than 3 feet, I did do something of a dive to save them. The figures are so fragile (I heard of a Dr. Teeth nose falling off) that I've learned to be extra careful with them.

On the other hand, my Kermit and Ugly Piggy have gotten a lot of rough play with my daughter and I indoors and outdoors and neither one has broken. She likes to pull Piggy's arm off because the lower half comes right out of the socket fairly easily, lol, but other than that, it's in good shape for the abuse we give it.

WiGgY

Reaction score
hmmm...my figures don't seem so fragile. My Bunsen has been trown around a bit and his glasses look fine. I've even tried to pull my Dr. Teeth's nose off and it didn't budge! lol

incredeeble!

Reaction score
I keep some of my toys on a shelf 12 inches from the ceiling, that lines one wall in my bedroom. I've caught a few jumpers but then I've also had some casualties. I had a spawn figure just about shatter at every joint, and this was on carpet!

this sorta reminds me about a few weeks ago. Something similar happened when I was on a concrete patio for a baby shower. I was playing around loosely with my digital still camera and it slipped out of my hands and it landed perfectly notched between my feet, missing the concrete ground by centimeters...

scarecroe

Reaction score
Originally posted by WiGgY
hmmm...my figures don't seem so fragile. My Bunsen has been trown around a bit and his glasses look fine. I've even tried to pull my Dr. Teeth's nose off and it didn't budge! lol
Well, that's good.

My Bunsen must have fallen directly on his glasses for them to have shattered the way they did... and they did *shatter* too; I'm still finding tiny pieces of them in my carpet!

Hairfarmer

Reaction score
Good catch! 'Sounds almost like juggler's reflexes to me. I do this with all kinds of stuff since I started juggling. The bad part is remembering NOT to catch dropped knives when you're in the kitchen!
:eek: