Frank Oz: "New Muppets Too Cute"

muppet maniac

Reaction score
I will say that, after reading the article, he does have a point there - about The Muppets not being as cutting edge as before. But I also have this to say to Oz, which I've brought up about a jillion times before: At least Disney didn't give us a live-action/CGI "satirical adaptation" of The Muppets (like Scooby-Doo) that tore apart the characters' charm and innocence, was filled with toilet humor, some innuendos here and there and maybe a Disney Channel star or two (or more) thrown in, all of this done without any involvement of the Muppet crew (as in the performers, writers, producers, etc.).
Now THAT'S something Frank and the other Muppet veterans should be up in arms about. Thank goodness we didn't end up with that kind of movie. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's all a matter of perspective. I do think the new film sort of kind of compares with the old ones and holds up as slightly weaker than the classics, yet I think it holds up MUCH better than the newer films, MFS especially. But when it comes to outside cinema, kids movies especially, it holds up as good as anything Pixar or Dreamworks on a good day manages to do, but completely surpasses most kiddy films that are by far the most insipid executive driven pieces of dung imaginable. At best, they're poorly cast with fart jokes shoehorned in to get a PG rating because no one dares see a G rated movie anymore. I still can't get over the fact that Fart Shoes brought fandom to the brink when Alvin and the Chipmunks and Hop got away with consumption of fecal matter. In KID'S movies. No matter how you play that for laughs, it's revolting AND sick and wrong on various levels.

There was a point brought up by someone that this film was a little too fast paced compared to the older ones. I can agree to that (though I blame a LOT of it on editing). But other kids films are so breakneck dizzying 3-D ADHD, that it seemed to get an unfortunate radiation from them, if anything. I mean, that's the only reason why they had to put the Smurfs in New York, to have them run around like chickens with their heads cut off as fast as possible, while making nods to pop culture. Rather than a quieter, dignified Medieval adventure like the superior Smurfs and the Magic Flute. Even adult movies are more sonic paced than need be. The only thing The Muppets suffers from is being a current film, in that case... conversely, it showed that the Muppets can work in a modern movie.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I just know for the first time the Muppets that I grew up with are finally back and have that spark in them that has lacked for so long. At least IMO. Without this film I know for a fact I wouldn't have came back as a fan. I'm probably more of a Muppets fan now then I ever was as a child. Heck this movie is what made me join MC. And I still value everything Frank has to say even if I don't always agree with him. I have just as much admiration and respect for him as Jim Henson.

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
I just know for the first time the Muppets that I grew up with are finally back and have that spark in them that has lacked for so long. At least IMO. Without this film I know for a fact I wouldn't have came back as a fan. I'm probably more of a Muppets fan now then I ever was as a child. Heck this movie is what made me join MC. And I still value everything Frank has to say even if I don't always agree with him. I have just as much admiration and respect for him as Jim Henson.
I have that same feeling too. My mom (Jane), started loving the Muppets again right after we listened to The Muppets soundtrack and The Muppets Take Manthann album on my iPod. My dad not so much and he started making fun of them. Ugh! He knew the Muppets today were "too cute" for him.

My mom also said that the original Muppeteers are either retiring or are gone. Oh well! We still had a great time. Besides, "life's a happy song when there is somebody at your side to sing along."

Redsonga

Reaction score
I think there is room for the Muppets to have some of the cuteness it has gotten more of over the years mixed with some of the old fashion 'it's a PIG and a FROG dancing to opera' oddness they had back in the day. It would just take the right group of writers. I don't think they've 'fallen' so far that it is a beyond help issue:smile:

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
Jesus, whenever someone comes along who doesn't vomit rainbows, a faction of the Muppet fans dismiss them as "jaded."

Oz is acerbic, witty, and has a dark sense of humor. He's not jaded. He's a realist. He has a point, although I don't entirely agree with it. The biggest problem I had with "The Muppets" is how it was blatantly emotionally manipulative. It lacked the subtlety of Henson-era Muppets. But I accepted that, good with the not so good, and enjoyed the movie anyway.
I just watched the movie earlier this week, and I completely agree with you. Don't get me wrong, it was a good movie, but it was very emotionally manipulative, almost too cutesie in some ways.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
I will say that, after reading the article, he does have a point there - about The Muppets not being as cutting edge as before. But I also have this to say to Oz, which I've brought up about a jillion times before: At least Disney didn't give us a live-action/CGI "satirical adaptation" of The Muppets (like Scooby-Doo) that tore apart the characters' charm and innocence, was filled with toilet humor, some innuendos here and there and maybe a Disney Channel star or two (or more) thrown in, all of this done without any involvement of the Muppet crew (as in the performers, writers, producers, etc.).
Now THAT'S something Frank and the other Muppet veterans should be up in arms about. Thank goodness we didn't end up with that kind of movie. :smile:
I agree. I hate that movie myself.