Frank Oz Interviewed in Chicago Tribune

muppetperson

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
No. No CGI on Muppets. I can promise you that. It would be ugly and stupid.
Remember the CGI Gonzo & Kermit demo at Muppetfest? Let's hope Disney wont pick up on it.:eek:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
muppetperson said:
Remember the CGI Gonzo & Kermit demo at Muppetfest? Let's hope Disney wont pick up on it.:eek:
Ugh. And how. Funny as it was as a demo to show how it works, and it does work for Francis the Adorable Badger via JHC, it just won't make it with The Muppets or SS, or FR characters either. It would be...ugly.

You know, the article is about Yoda and Star Wars, actually. Not about The Muppets. He's mentioning the Yoda puppet being archaic at this point.

I don't know about the post above mentioning that about the Muppets. The closest to it was the CGI Muppet Babies thing, but even that's based off a cartoon more than it is the puppets.

Infinity Sirius

Reaction score
Well Disney is moving into the CGI business with movies like Chicken Little coming out, but maybe the new CEO won't follow Eisner's path.

Rowlf's Roadie

Reaction score
And remember, Yoda's meant to be realistic. If that's what the Muppets were going for, they would've gone CGI years ago.

somethingofafan

Reaction score
Rowlf's Roadie said:
And remember, Yoda's meant to be realistic. If that's what the Muppets were going for, they would've gone CGI years ago.
True. It's really a shame that the IMDb put the word "Muppet" in the headline, because I see Oz's interview as referring to more realistic creatures, such as the ones that the Henson company has always avoided labeling as "Muppets".

BEAR

Reaction score
If Disney has any sense in them at all, they will realize/know that using CGI will not make them Muppets anymore. Plus, do you realize how many people will be left unemployed if that happens. I am really talking of the Muppeteer team. Sure they can provide voices but so much of the physical personality and spontaneity comes from the talent of the puppeteer. I understand that CGI is used sometimes for certain effects these days with the Muppets, but it should be left minimal. Only used when absolutely necessary. Otherwise it rips away all the charm and lovability the Muppets have left. This will also mean no more public appearances. Kermit will no longer be able to do things like guest host the Tonight Show and Miss Piggy can't banter with Regis. If it leaks to Sesame Street, who will kids be reacting to in Talk Spots? I doubt any of this will happen though. No one can just disregard the value of these creations so much.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
The article was discussing Yoda. I don't think we have to worry about that ever happening to The Muppets.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
I agree with you Kev, Frank was saying that the Yoda puppet would look archaic next to the other Star Wars cast and the overall environment. This won't happen to the Muppets.