Fraggle Rock comics - round 2!

beaker

Reaction score
That's how I've always generally seen comic books based on TV shows and movies, etc. (or book series or even video games and so forth.) Yes, they are all merchandising for the show and I don't typically bother with books that are only novelizations of episodes and such (unless perhaps that's the only prose merchandise associated with a show that I like)- but when it's new stories, whether in prose novel or comic book form or whatever - for me, it's a way to continue the fun of the show. Which is one reason why I enjoy the animated version of Fraggle Rock alongside the live action show- for me, it's just a little bit more Fraggley fun that comes straight from the creators rather than reading fanfiction online or something. (Not to knock fanfiction though- because some of it is quite good.) But I'd still give greater weight to something from the actual creator and/or copyright owner.
High five man:smile: It seems there is not many Fraggle Rock animated fans, but I for one absolutely love it. I was estatic that all the episodes were released on dvd in one package.

As ya said, unlike movie adaptions this sort of stuff is simply new adventures and side stories to be told.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The animated series was pretty good... it's what I had to grow up with. Except, I dislike the episode where they keep getting dry heaves over Binooni Berries.

Once I get all 4 seasons of the other (or I find it somewhere really cheap) I think I'll pick it up.

But these comics are nothing short of amazing.

Slackbot

Reaction score
These comics are getting better and better. I could make tiny little nitpicks concerning the exact nature of Boober's "monsters" and Mokey writing a poem on an event that she was not supposed to know about--I can't get any more specific without getting into spoiler territory--but those are mere details. Wonderful job, Archaia!

However, I noticed something peculiar in this comic: double-image pages. On some pages, the image of other pages seems to be coming through in the dark areas. At first I thought it was just the other side of the paper, but this paper is not thin and the text isn't reversed. Has anyone else seen this? Here's what I found:

In The Meaning of Life page 13, you can see page 5 of The Perfect Words in the background. The speech bubble in the upper left and Wembley behind Mokey in the last panel are especially obvious.

TMoL page 16 has page 4 of TPW in the background. It's easiest to see in the second panel, where a panel border line appears to be connecting Gobo and Wembley as they part.

TMoL page 17 has page 3 of TMoL lurking in the background. It's only obvious in the last panel, when Gobo is running down the passage after dropping the postcard.

The last page of TMoL has the second page of TMoL in the background. Look for Boober's ghost in the second panel. (Actually, I didn't recognize Boober so much as his speech bubble. Who else would use the word "trauma"?)

Anyone have any idea what could have caused these double images? I'm frankly puzzled.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Hmm...how odd. My copy is perfectly fine. Wonder what caused that in yours and how many others are affected.

Drtooth

Reaction score
So... does anyone know what happened to issue 3? It's been 2 months since the last one.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
High five man It seems there is not many Fraggle Rock animated fans, but I for one absolutely love it. I was estatic that all the episodes were released on dvd in one package.

As ya said, unlike movie adaptions this sort of stuff is simply new adventures and side stories to be told.
Backatcha, man! Yes- another Fraggle Rock animated fan.:excited:
The animated series was pretty good... it's what I had to grow up with. Except, I dislike the episode where they keep getting dry heaves over Binooni Berries.
I actually thought that episode was pretty funny- but everyone's got their own taste on that of course.

DTWolf

Reaction score
Issue 3 finally coming

This Wednesday the last issue of vol. 2 of the Fraggle Rock comic is finally coming out. It's listed on this week's Diamond Comics previews list* and you can check out a preview on publisher Archaia's own website:

http://www.archaia.com/blog/fraggle-rock-vol-2-3-of-3

* FYI: Diamond Comics is the company with a virtual monopoly on distributing comic books to comic stores in the U.S. If they say it's being released, they're the ones who will know.

Drtooth

Reaction score
This Wednesday the last issue of vol. 2 of the Fraggle Rock comic is finally coming out. It's listed on this week's Diamond Comics previews list* and you can check out a preview on publisher Archaia's own website:
I really hope they consider continuing this series, even if it's in a 3 issue at a time, wait a few months then release the next series. We've lost the Muppet Show comic, so far... and, while the Dark Crystal and other Henson comics sound just as great, they've done such a great job with FR, it would be a shame for it to not at least surpass the "YAAAAAWWWWNNNN... who cares" Marvel comics edition from the 1980's.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Well, the 1980s Marvel Star Comics version of "Fraggle Rock" was largely comic adaptations of episodes of the show- but I think some of the later issues may have had some original stories. Sadly, it didn't last very long in any case.:smirk: