Flat Eric's fingers

SesameKermie

Reaction score
I think his fingers are 'gimmicked.' Basically a string is connected to his fingertip and then runs through the finger and down the hand to the control rod. On the rod, the puppeteer just has to pull the string. I think someone had a video of a gripping hand that works on this principle, but I don't remember where it was.

Edit:Here's the video: http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?t=24123 I think all you'd have to do for eric is to add controls for individual fingers.

TheCreatureWork

Reaction score
Hmmmm...

It looks to me like they switch from glove (Puppeteer wearing a glove) to rod controlled- depending on the shot.:smirk: I think Sesame Kermit was right on the other shots.

fishbone

Reaction score
so wait..how are all the fingers connected to the string?..i need to get to the $$$ store..stat!!!

MGov

Reaction score
Well planned shots and editting. When the fingers are moving, it's a glove. The sausage shot is probably a blue screened sleeve.

puppetsmith

Reaction score
I only watched it once through, but my initial thought is that his first finger and maybe thumb is cable controlled through the arm rod which has been conveniently removed in post production. They probably planned on editing the rod/s out from the beginning either for aesthetic reasons, or based on the fact that the rods were probably thicker than usual to house at the most two cables for independent movement of the thumb and forefinger.

Just a guess.

Hey shtick...lot of questions lately...care to share what you're working on? :smile:

Punch'n'Judy

Reaction score
Spoke to Richard, the puppeteer, about it this evening. Apparently it was a seperate cabled arm, they detached and joined at the shoulder, with a handgrip with ringpulls for each of Flats' fingers at the end of the rod control to his wrist.

Hope that makes sense.

J

shtick

Reaction score
bezalel said:
Hey shtick...lot of questions lately...care to share what you're working on? :smile:
Hey bezalel,
I know this isn't usually done, but I'm trying to give my new puppet as many
features as possible, including the ability to "smoke" a real cigarette. In order for that to happen, he needs to be able to hold a cigarette he's asked for, ergo the flat eric question. I'm still in the planning stages but this should be cool.