Flat Eric's fingers

TheCreatureWork

Reaction score
About making hands

I came across a video on Youtube a couple of years ago about Grant Harding (A fellow Canadian) making a hand that grasps. I looked and looked but couldn't find it. Finally I came across a picture of it:

Click for the picture HERE

He had posted on Youtube HERE, but I don't think it's posted anymore.

He has his messaging on at FRAPPR if you want to contact him
Check out Frappr Puppeteers HERE

Hope this helps
Tom

shtick

Reaction score
TheCreatureWork said:
I came across a video on Youtube a couple of years ago about Grant Harding (A fellow Canadian) making a hand that grasps. I looked and looked but couldn't find it. Finally I came across a picture of it:

Click for the picture HERE

He had posted on Youtube HERE, but I don't think it's posted anymore.

He has his messaging on at FRAPPR if you want to contact him
Check out Frappr Puppeteers HERE

Hope this helps
Tom

This is cool. How does it work though? and whats that triggered device he attached the string to?

TheCreatureWork

Reaction score
Not certain, I believe he would just pull the strings and it would move the finger(s). I guess you could make a trigger for it, or pull string through the arm rod.

Sidebottom

Reaction score
Grant Harding here. The video Tom's talking about can be found here: http://theabstractions.com/hand.html

Basically each finger has a thread running down it, through bits of plastic straw. On the backs of the fingers are elastic band pieces that pull the hand open again. The threads run down parallel to the arm rod, to a control at the bottom that I cannibalized from one of those dinosaur-head-on-a-stick toys.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

-Grant

Sad Sad Monster

Reaction score
Im so glad I found this before I finished my latest project.

Thats a really great.

spcglider

Reaction score
Its a very interesting excercise in the art of illusion.

The question is: How much are we actually seeing versus what we THINK we're seeing in the shots?

My theory: Flat Eric has a forefinger and perhaps a thumb that are capable of independent "scissor" movement. Otherwise, the rest of his fingers are static/poseable.

Note the scene where he's smoking a hot-dog. The fingers other than the forefinger and perhaps minimally the thumb, do not move at all.

I think all the other shots are illusioning us into thinking his fingers are all mobile. A little wrist action and it's a great illusion.

just my two pennies.

-Gordon