Finding Dory coming to theaters Summer 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Moan and groan all you want, but I'm with Jamie on this one: when you think back to the original, it may have been FINDING NEMO, but it was really Dory who stole the show and was sort of the breakout character in that movie, I really think to have a sequel focusing more on her would work well, as long as it's executed properly... I mean, the movie can't just be built around her short-term memory alone, it would get frustrating after a while, it really needs to build up some kind of a minor subplot for all of the characters that would somehow be connected together. Admittedly, ICE AGE 2: THE MELTDOWN kind of did THAT right, having Manny's subplot of thinking he's the last mammoth on earth, Sid wanting others to respect him, and Diego being afraid of water all being intertwined into the story.

Plus, I don't know why, but I'm a sucker for aquatic tales: FINDING NEMO is one of my favorite movies, it has some gorgeous animation and really captured the underwater world beautifully, so I'm going to remain open-minded about this. Yes, I agree that Pixar is putting a little too much focus on sequels and prequels right now (but then again, just about everyone in Hollywood is right now), but at least this one sounds somewhat promising.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Finding Nemo came out at a time when Ellen's career was bouncing back after two canceled sitcoms. In fact, I think Nemo reminded people of why they loved Ellen in the first place. She really held that movie together. Ellen's been one of the most beloved television personalities over the last ten years.

Dory is such a naturally social character that we're definitely in for an epic adventure!

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat that Dory was what made the movie. I mean, honestly, watching the movie now, I find the parts without Dory kinda bleh...

But still, they could royally screw the up. My fear is that they might try to make Dory even more over the top and exaggerated and lose what made Dory so lovable.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Don't forget John Lasseter really wanted to make another Cars.... is there any sort of term for in-house fan service? :oops:
Disney also wanted to make another Cars. They couldn't keep the little die-casts in stock for months after the film came out. Meanwhile Ratatouille, a brilliant film beloved by older audiences (everything in that movie would fly over kids' heads anyway), cleared out all the merchandise long before it hit DVD. No one wanted a toy Rat that didn't teach 4 Turtles the way of the Ninja. You can see why they'd swing to another Cars. Unfortunately, they threw too much into that picture and now they can't get rid of that merchandise (that goes on and off of clearance). Though I'm disappointed I didn't get the Kabuki Mater.

Moan and groan all you want, but I'm with Jamie on this one: when you think back to the original, it may have been FINDING NEMO, but it was really Dory who stole the show and was sort of the breakout character in that movie, I really think to have a sequel focusing more on her would work well, as long as it's executed properly... I mean, the movie can't just be built around her short-term memory alone, it would get frustrating after a while, it really needs to build up some kind of a minor subplot for all of the characters that would somehow be connected together.
Agreed. Dory was a great character (I'm a little more partial to the Sharks and the Steven Root voiced fish that was obsessed with Bubbles), but they left her wide open. While she had some character development, there's so much more potential for the character to thrive and expand. There's a great deal of backstory that can be added to the character. My only problem is that the "Finding" in the title suggests "we're going to do the first film over again with Dory instead of Nemo." And while, yes... someone pointed that out, Boom did do that as a comic book. I'm not calling it anything until I hear a synopsis.

I really don't get how they're "obsessed" with sequels. Sure, out of the past 4 movies (including the upcoming one), there were 3... but let's not forget out of 18 confirmed movies, only 5 of them have been sequel films (and then there was a 7 film gap in between their first sequel and their second). 5 is how many Shrek movies there are (including Puss in Boots). To give you some perspective, they wanted at least 7 movies, not counting that spinoff. Then the third one sucked, and they reeled it in. Sony is sequelling everything but Surf's Up (do we need the DTV Open Season ones? really?) meaning that out of 4 start up films, 3 of them got sequels, and all were confirmed the second the weekend box office came in. Also, out of the last 3 Pixar films, the most beloved one was a sequel. People hate Cars 2 and (again while it has it's problems) really hate Brave, but mostly everyone loved Toy Story 3.

Again, it's thinking in the perspective of a film studio that raised the bar with almost every film, vs every other studio we don't expect much out of. That must be it. Toy Story 3 raised the bar waaaaaaay too high in terms of story telling and adult intellectual psychological themes. But on the other hand, the thing I liked best about Cars 2 and Brave was they didn't have me leave the theater as an emotional wreck.

(Turns back to leave, stops abruptly)

And, eh... one more thing, sir... It's just that it bothers me that This film isn't getting any disrespect. They're already planning a trilogy! :oops:

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
The article refers to her as "The Forgettable Blue Tang"... do they mean to say "forgetful", or do they actually think so little of Dory to say that as a character in the movie, she was pretty forgettable?
Maybe they get their descriptions from Super Why...."Adventure Waits when you're with Super why!" That should be awaits!

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Disney also wanted to make another Cars. They couldn't keep the little die-casts in stock for months after the film came out. Meanwhile Ratatouille, a brilliant film beloved by older audiences (everything in that movie would fly over kids' heads anyway), cleared out all the merchandise long before it hit DVD. No one wanted a toy Rat that didn't teach 4 Turtles the way of the Ninja. You can see why they'd swing to another Cars. Unfortunately, they threw too much into that picture and now they can't get rid of that merchandise (that goes on and off of clearance). Though I'm disappointed I didn't get the Kabuki Mater.

Agreed. Dory was a great character (I'm a little more partial to the Sharks and the Steven Root voiced fish that was obsessed with Bubbles), but they left her wide open. While she had some character development, there's so much more potential for the character to thrive and expand. There's a great deal of backstory that can be added to the character. My only problem is that the "Finding" in the title suggests "we're going to do the first film over again with Dory instead of Nemo." And while, yes... someone pointed that out, Boom did do that as a comic book. I'm not calling it anything until I hear a synopsis.

I really don't get how they're "obsessed" with sequels. Sure, out of the past 4 movies (including the upcoming one), there were 3... but let's not forget out of 18 confirmed movies, only 5 of them have been sequel films (and then there was a 7 film gap in between their first sequel and their second). 5 is how many Shrek movies there are (including Puss in Boots). To give you some perspective, they wanted at least 7 movies, not counting that spinoff. Then the third one sucked, and they reeled it in. Sony is sequelling everything but Surf's Up (do we need the DTV Open Season ones? really?) meaning that out of 4 start up films, 3 of them got sequels, and all were confirmed the second the weekend box office came in. Also, out of the last 3 Pixar films, the most beloved one was a sequel. People hate Cars 2 and (again while it has it's problems) really hate Brave, but mostly everyone loved Toy Story 3.

Again, it's thinking in the perspective of a film studio that raised the bar with almost every film, vs every other studio we don't expect much out of. That must be it. Toy Story 3 raised the bar waaaaaaay too high in terms of story telling and adult intellectual psychological themes. But on the other hand, the thing I liked best about Cars 2 and Brave was they didn't have me leave the theater as an emotional wreck.

(Turns back to leave, stops abruptly)

And, eh... one more thing, sir... It's just that it bothers me that This film isn't getting any disrespect. They're already planning a trilogy! :oops:
Really Brave got good reviews compared to both Cars movies?

Status
Not open for further replies.