Finding Dory coming to theaters Summer 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Is this the Nemo sequel, or cheapquel, or whatever word you want to use for it?
Methinks the Animated MAD parody where they were churning out 3D versions of their old movies as new movies instead of new new movies got it pretty much right.

Personally, I'm much more looking forward to Pixar's Día de Los Muertos film in 2016.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
The good news is Pete Doctor's Inside the Mind movie is still on for summer 2015 so hopefully we'll see some Pixar good that year.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't see why this is getting that much scorn. Pixar has only released 3 sequels so far, one upcoming one that looks great, and this one. That doesn't even amount to a Dreamworks franchise. The only "bad" one they released was Cars 2, and then again it's not like the first film was beloved by anyone over the age of 10. And I'm pretty sure Pixar got the message that Cars 2 wasn't exactly a critical darling and didn't make as much money as they thought it would.

The film does sound promising, as long as they don't turn it into a retread. I don't think they're lazy enough to do that exactly, though there's time yet. They chose the smart thing and focused it on Dory, a character who's background is a blank slate and that's where the potential is. As long as they don't screw that up, it really seems like it could work.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
From my own perspective, the reason I'm giving this one scorn is because, for me, Cars 2 was too much of a mixed bag to consider it good and Brave was a overly-predictable and generic film for Pixar's standards that, while isn't a stinker, comes very close to being so. I'm sorry but Monsters University isn't impressing me too much yet. This just sounds like a step in the wrong direction especially 12 years after the fact.

animalrescuer

Reaction score
I'm interested in seeing the film. We'll have to wait and see if it will live up to the first film, but with Dory and Ellen Degeneres as her voice, I'm sure it will be pretty funny.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The article refers to her as "The Forgettable Blue Tang"... do they mean to say "forgetful", or do they actually think so little of Dory to say that as a character in the movie, she was pretty forgettable?

Drtooth

Reaction score
From my own perspective, the reason I'm giving this one scorn is because, for me, Cars 2 was too much of a mixed bag to consider it good and Brave was a overly-predictable and generic film for Pixar's standards that, while isn't a stinker, comes very close to being so. I'm sorry but Monsters University isn't impressing me too much yet. This just sounds like a step in the wrong direction especially 12 years after the fact.
Brave was ruined by Executive Meddling. There's a real sordid past about that film, Pixar just about forcing the film's director off the project. Any lost potential seems to have been forcibly cut out. The film could have been a lot better, but I give it credit for what the film was trying to do. Something tells me just having the Pixar name attached to it made people hate the film because it wasn't exactly the same film they usually make (cute thing learns a lesson). Seems that if it was a 2-D film produced by an indie studio, even with the same story telling flaws, everyone would be acting like it was the greatest thing ever.

Cars 2 was all about the merchandising, and the fact that, after Toy Story 3, Disney was going to make a cheap, inferior sequel to that when Pixar left. In fact, all the films they've planned sequels to so far were going to be made in-house by Disney until they bought Pixar. Monsters Inc, under their hand, was to be a direct sequel in which they visit teenage Boo, and get trapped in human world, basically setting up the exact same jokes from the first one in reverse. Someone at Pixar had the right idea by not doing a direct sequel, as that would have ruined the ending of the original film. Something to think about when Star Wars episode 7 is in production.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Brave was ruined by Executive Meddling. There's a real sordid past about that film, Pixar just about forcing the film's director off the project. Any lost potential seems to have been forcibly cut out. The film could have been a lot better, but I give it credit for what the film was trying to do. Something tells me just having the Pixar name attached to it made people hate the film because it wasn't exactly the same film they usually make (cute thing learns a lesson). Seems that if it was a 2-D film produced by an indie studio, even with the same story telling flaws, everyone would be acting like it was the greatest thing ever.
That was my problem with Brave. If any other studio had done it, I'd consider it a triumph but with Pixar you come in with different expectations, expectations Brave didn't deliver on. I have nothing against them doing something different, but at least make it a quality product.

Status
Not open for further replies.