Favorite Sesame human of all time

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Ziffel said:
He was also in his early 20's when Maria started the show in 1973. So I was just pointing out that I thought it would be unlikely for them to have an adult be interested in Maria if she was supposed to still be a minor on the show.

That's true, just like the point raised before that often in television and movies people in their 20's have played younger people. But also remember in the case of David and Maria that sketch in her first or second year (1973 or 1974) where they were a couple about to be married and Bob was the minister. It's still possible that the show had her character be a teen. Just giving some reasons that lead me to think they more likely intended her to be a young adult as she was. Just my opinion. :smile:
don't wanna sound fuzzy but it was 1971 when she joined.

BEAR

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
Then how come EVERY source I have read says she joined in '73/'74??

somethingofafan

Reaction score
I think they're pretty much all good. From a humorous perspective, I like the way Maria reacts to things like special effects now. But as far as having a natural interaction with the kids and puppets, I think Alan is really emerging as one of the best.

BEAR

Reaction score
Yeah, I have started to really like Alan a lot. It is so funny because there was a period of time when i would only tune in occassionally because of time, and one day I turn it on and I see this new guy running Hooper's. I thought, "Where did HE come from?!" I guess I wasn't really around too much during the time Handford left. Anyway... I agree, I think that Alan seems to naturally connect with the Muppets.

What happened to the others' acting?!! Why is Maria such a spazz these days? I mean, don't get me wrong, of course I love Maria, but her acting seems to be so forced and over-done if you know what I mean. She used to be so much better. I mean, that was always one of the things I enjoyed seeing was how the humans on the show interacted with the Muppets, but now the original people seem to be overacting tremendously.

Also...anyone know what happened to Susan? It doesn't seem like she is around much. I remember watching Elmo Saves Christmas and noticing how weird it was that Gordon and Miles were there and not her. Any thoughts?

Tim Kelly

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
My favorite human was David. For many years, he provided a lot of energetic comedy, great singing, and the message that you could be cool and hip without being mean to others who aren't. Even when the late actor (Northern Calloway) became sick and overweight, he kept the character going as best he could to the end.

I know there were some scandals in the actor's life, but that's just a reminder that the people who perform Sesame Street are human and can be as troubled as the rest of us. The trick is that, in spite of reality, they put on an excellent show to educate and entertain children and adults.

Mr. Hooper (Will Lee) runs a close second as my favorite human, but there was good closure to his death and David seemed to keep Mr. Hooper's memory alive. It's interesting that after David was gone, they seemed to give up on preserving the show's essence. JMO
I couldn't have put it better myself. Northern Calloway was the best singer in my opinion, and it's tragic that he died so young.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
BEAR said:
Also...anyone know what happened to Susan? It doesn't seem like she is around much. I remember watching Elmo Saves Christmas and noticing how weird it was that Gordon and Miles were there and not her. Any thoughts?
It is kind of odd that Susan's appearances are rare these days. But she did show up in a recent episode (The "Healthy Food Game" ep), and was in "The Street We Live On" special.

I think the situation has to do with the fact that Loretta Long was on the show from the very beginning, so maybe she's pursuing other projects. Just a thought.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 said:
It is kind of odd that Susan's appearances are rare these days. But she did show up in a recent episode (The "Healthy Food Game" ep), and was in "The Street We Live On" special.

I think the situation has to do with the fact that Loretta Long was on the show from the very beginning, so maybe she's pursuing other projects. Just a thought.
everyone has been on a lot less due to the ammount of epiosdes that are made these days and the present day format.

BEAR

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
everyone has been on a lot less due to the ammount of epiosdes that are made these days and the present day format.

Yeah, it is just so strange. Was she even in Elmo in Grouchland? She was interviewed with Maria and Bob for the A&E Biography of SS and in Elmopalooza. I hope she will be interviewed in the new doc special. For the longest time I thought she had just dissapeared. Her and Bob are our windows into the Sesame Street way back when. Do you think her lack of presence has anything to do with age? Although Bob shows up so much more often. I see him as more of a symbol or representation of Sesame Street than any other human. Him and Susan have been there the longest and know what it is all about.
By the way...I know that Gina is still on the show, but did she go away for a while and come back? What was that about?
Also, does anyone know what ever happened to past cast members who have left the show? Thanks

Ziffel

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
Ah I see on post#19 that you mentioned that she said in an interview that she started doing the show in season 3 (1971). So I guess the sources that say 1973 or 1974 are erroneous (unless 1973 was the first year she was a REGULAR cast member. But that's probably doubtful since there really weren't any sporadic adults on the show (as there were with muppets like Professor Hastings!) By the way, I thought of Professor Hastings at work today because my foot fell asleep during my lunch hour!