Favorite Muppet Cats

FellowWLover

Reaction score
Manda is quite right... he was the subject of at least two Street scenes this past season. I searched for a photo of him, but instead found this on someone's Blog. It was kinda funny so, here you have it:

"Speaking of which, several people were very disappointed that I mentioned a quote of Elmo's that reminded me of Victor/Victoria, and didn't share the quote. It isn't nearly as funny in print as it is when you hear it.

Here's the setup: Elmo pretends to be a cat in order to entertain a "real" cat (it's a Muppet cat, but you know what I mean) whose kitty playdate was cancelled.

Digression: When I am Queen of the Universe, anyone using the word "playdate" will be locked in the dungeon. I can't stand the term. I have spoken. End of digression.

So Elmo and the cat, whose name is Little Murray Sparkles, but that's another story, meow together and purr and drink milk and when that gets boring, Big Bird turns up with the Birdketeers. The Birdketeers, for those of you who do not watch Sesame Street regularly, are a bunch of small children dressed in bird costumes. Sesame Street is full of little clubs like this -- they also have Countketeers and Grouchketeers and last week, weirdest of all, the Seventeenketeers. Anyway.

Elmo, still dressed as a cat, decides that he and his kitty friend should join the Birdketeers so they can do exciting things like recite the alphabet a million times and count to twenty and all that. So they put on Birdketeer outfits. Someone passing by wonders why a cat appears to be dressed as a bird, and Big Bird explains that Little Murray Sparkles is a Birdketeer for the day.

Big Bird: "And Elmo is a monster pretending to be a cat pretending to be a bird."

Elmo: "Elmo is a little confused."

Somehow this struck me as hilarious. Again, I think you had to be there. I also think that you must be the kind of person who has seen entirely too many films that mess with gender stereotyping."

http://www.impudence.com/anhedonia/200103/rant2.htm

FellowWLover

Reaction score
Oh and a more direct answer would be that LMS is a white cat who belongs to Elizabeth. He got lost one day, and Telly (along with Baby Bear I think) found him and named him Little Murray (or maybe just Murray, I am sure one of you details geeks will correct me if I am wrong). Hilarity ensues when Telly discovers that Little Murray is not in fact a stray, but rather is Elizabeth's lost pet named, you guessed it, Sparkles. I am sure you can figure the rest out from here.

Ah, good times!

Gonzo

Reaction score
Okay, I'm at work, and not technically supposed to be online, but I consider that a technicality.

Anyway, I was just reading your INSANE explanation of who Little Murray Sparkles is, and I just busted out laughing. But through my nose. :embarrassed:

It wasn't messy, just loud. NICE.

Now I want to SEE Little Murray Sparkles.

But I think of him like this:

LITTLE MURRAY SPARKLES!
LITTLE MURRAY SPARKLES!
LITTLE MURRAY SPARKLES!

And that makes it funnier. Probably much funnier than the actual episodes.

Anyway, loved it. And so did my co-workers. Kinda.

Quinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

:big_grin:

FellowWLover

Reaction score
Originally posted by Gonzo
Now I want to SEE Little Murray Sparkles.

But I think of him like this:

LITTLE MURRAY SPARKLES!
LITTLE MURRAY SPARKLES!
LITTLE MURRAY SPARKLES!

Oh I think of him like that too, believe me.

And Emileigh has been trained for at least a year now to scream out LITTLE MURRAY SPARKLES LITTLE MURRAY SPARKLES LITTLE MURRAY SPARKLES should she ever see him on television at a moment when I am not in the room.

It is the LMS all-points bulletin. Just wait until your kid gets a little older. Then you'll discover the many uses of children. They really can do more than spit-up, poop, and cry!

King Jim

Reaction score
I remember a cat that sang with Rowlf once.

Docnzhoss

Reaction score
Gaffer has to be my favorite. I hate real cats but you gotta love a Muppet cat with an eyepatch. I'm also going to say Rugby the Tiger from The Christmas Toy.