FAO Schwartz: Muppet Whatnot Workshop coming October 22

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Read this news in the New York Times article and I think this is just one of the best ideas and it really does sound like soothing that Jim would have done.

erniebert1234ss

Reaction score
I'm excited for this! Maybe this might be a "next summer" trip--or even a "Weekend jaunt" trip to NYC.

BJ

IgorPonweed

Reaction score
Even if I can get it online, this is the PERFECT reason to go back to NY! Maybe I'll see Cry Baby while I'm up there too!

SesameStMuppets

Reaction score
I Have Seen the Foam!

So I was checking my mail yesterday, and there it was: the Fall FAO Schwartz Catalogue. What's that on the cover? A young boy surrounded in a sea of well crafted Muppet Whatnots :wisdom: . Before I continue, let me clarify that these puppets look a bit more like the Street's Anything Muppet, than the Show's Whatnot.

Now... What can you choose from, you may ask? Was that a please and thank you? You're welcome... I'd love to share! Let's start at the body...

There are three (count em' 3) bodies to choose from. I was a tad disappointed by this... but the accessories make up for that. I digress...

The first body is similar to fat blue: The shortest of the three with an elongated egg-shaped head. On a scale of one to ten (one being I just vomited in my mouth, I need the Muppet Wizard of Oz to settle my stomach; ten being I just crapped in my pants, I need the Muppet Wizard of Oz to bring me down from this euphoric state reminding me that Disney may disappoint the Muppet Community yet again) I'd give it an 8. One point off because fat blue has a round head, not am egg-ie one. Another point because I'm still in disbelief.

The second body is a truly familiar one. Looking almost exactly like the Pumpkin AM, Disney has outdone themselves. Ranking in at a 9 on the Oz to Oz scale, my only disappointment is that the material it's made from isn't a true foam rubber. It's more like puppet re-makes of Kermit sold back around the 25th anniversary of The Muppet Show. But what can we really expect?
Thirdly is my least favorite of the three (personally it's least true to the Anything Style). To describe this one, I'll use my sister's description when she got her catalogue: "It's like Bert and Beaker had a baby, but Bunsen gave it his skin color." With a tall, rounded head and U shaped mouth I give this Whatnot a 7: incredible, but the least impressive of it's kind. It must be the awkward middle child :confused: ...

Fortunately or not, I don't think FAO showed all of the hair, nose, or clothing options; and they showed a lot of options. From glasses to Rowlf eyes, pointy noses to Ernie noses, and bad tupes to Fraggle tupes :coy: (you'll see what I mean) this collection is EXTENSIVE!

And that's not all! There are over 15 different clothes to choose from, all seemingly detachable so you can mix and match for different characters. There's a red hoodie with 'WHATNOT' written across it, a tweed suit, a shiny suit (very game-show-esque). Again, I don't think everything was shown, but what was shown was AWESOMELY EXTENSIVE!

But wait! There's more! We still need to talk about the nitty-gritty-itty-bitty-little-kitty-short-and-pretty-gotta-getty-mitty-smitty--- what was I talking about? Puppets, right. The add for the product didn't specify as to whether or not you can interchange features like on the show, the pictures look like you can... but those can be deceiving sometimes. The most I've seen from a rod stand-point it that it's one per puppet; but they only showed it on the cover, every other picture shows a rod less puppet. Fortunately, the rod that is advertised looks TRULY & AWESOMELY EXTENSIVE. Wait? Can a rod be extensive? This one can be! Again, I digress... The puppet is advertised as $130 dollars, which is a bit more than originally advertised... but it's WORTH THE EXTRA. Plus, if you're a first timer at FAO, you can sign up for a mailing list, which sends you a 20% off coupon, bringing the puppet to $104.

Speaking of online, a "Build-A-Muppet-Whatnot-Workshop" is shown in the catalogue as a future web site feature, as of 1:09 EST/ 12:09 CST, it is not there... we can only hope to see it within the next few days.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Happy What-Notting![/FONT]

TheCreatureWork

Reaction score
Thanks!

Thanks people for the update! I posted it on my blog and gave you credit for the find :smile:

I wonder though...how many of you will buy it just for the pattern(s)? Hmmmmm.....

Just wondering.

SesameStMuppets

Reaction score
This is great news! Thanks wes for calling FAO and getting that information. Now all I have to do is count my way down 'til October 20!

Better ask a friend if you know what I mean... :batty:

Status
Not open for further replies.