Fan Poll: Favorite Sesame Street Christmas Production

What is your favorite Sesame Street Christmas production?

• A Sesame Street Christmas Carol (2006)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A Special Sesame Street Christmas (1978)

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Christmas Eve on Sesame Street (1978)

Votes: 45 84.9%
  • Elmo Saves Christmas (1996)

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Elmo's Christmas Countdown (2007)

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Elmo's World: Happy Holidays (2002)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Oldiesmann

Reaction score
My choice is also Christmas Eve on Sesame Street in part because it's the only one I've ever seen. I have fond memories of watching it on TV every year as a kid in the 80s and early 90s.

HeyButtahfly

Reaction score
I knew what I was voting for as soon as I saw the title of this thread. :smile: Christmas Eve on Sesame Street-- I used to watch it every year. I don't know if there's much else I can say about it with what everyone else has stated so well. But there's another reason why I will always remember it fondly: it was an introduction to "classic" S.S. for me, being born in the late '80s. The story centered around Big Bird, Kermit was there "on the case", I got to see Olivia (though I also knew Olivia from Follow That Birdl) and for years this was all I knew of David (not to mention, he dated Maria?! What?? LOL :flirt:). I don't think I ever thought about Elmo not being there, because Cookie Monster, Grover, Ernie and Bert and Big Bird have always been my favorites (and Kermit of course). It's all I needed for a good S.S. special.

That being said... I was surprised that I liked Elmo Saves Christmas. I thought it was quite clever and really funny in places. It was more "modernized" but it was nice to have a special that Elmo starred in without it being a complete Elmo takeover like lots of things are now. I could have done without a remake of "Keep Christmas With You", but other than that I'd probably rank this one #2. The only other one in the poll I've seen is some parts of A Special S.S. Christmas, but it was kind of one of those things were I saw enough to know I don't really want to finish it.

Reaction score
Christmas Eve on Sesame Street is just amazing! I love to watch it every year now that I have it on DVD! I only got it a couple years ago. I also bought Sesame Street Christmas Carol, but that was a big disappointment. Basically a clip show.

CherryPizza

Reaction score
How many kids have worried about how Santa Claus gets down skinny little chimneys, or into homes with no chimneys?
Such are the dangers of having a figure whose folklore has emerged over time. For those who don't know, Clement Clarke Moore's A Visit from St Nicholas, aka The Night Before Christmas is believed to be the original source of the concept of Santa entering a house via the chimney. Of course, the poem also states that he flew with "a miniature sleigh and eight tiny reindeer" and that "He had a broad face and a round little belly". In this poem he was clearly a tiny man who could easily enter a house in that manner. When, in other creations, he began to be known as a fully-grown fat man, the image co-existed with the chimney entrance... and so the incompatible characteristics were merged.

dabauckham

Reaction score
I agree, folks, Christmas Eve on SS has it by a landslide. One of the all-time greats.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That being said... I was surprised that I liked Elmo Saves Christmas. I thought it was quite clever and really funny in places. It was more "modernized" but it was nice to have a special that Elmo starred in without it being a complete Elmo takeover like lots of things are now. I could have done without a remake of "Keep Christmas With You", but other than that I'd probably rank this one #2. The only other one in the poll I've seen is some parts of A Special S.S. Christmas, but it was kind of one of those things were I saw enough to know I don't really want to finish it.

It's a distant second to me, but it's another great special with a great story that treats Elmo as a character. I really dig Harvey Firestine's Easter Bunny song. And it also shows consequences of Elmo's actions. Something you rarely see is consequences. Though I always joke about how the special should be called "Elmo's Christmas Lateral move" since technically, he only saved Christmas AFTER he put it in danger in the first place.

I also like looking at the similar story line in Fairly Oddparents, where Timmy makes the same wish.

kcathome

Reaction score
It's really a shame that the wonderful John Denver and the Muppets - A Christmas Together (1979) wasn't listed as a choice here. It must be a copyright issue. You can't find a DVD recording of it - only the CD and excerpts from the special on YouTube. When is someone going to answer the many requests for the DVD reproduction of this show? It's my favorite Christmas recording of all time.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It's really a shame that the wonderful John Denver and the Muppets - A Christmas Together (1979) wasn't listed as a choice here.
It's mentioned in one of the polls in the Classic Muppets section.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah, This poll is specifically for Sesame Street productions.

HeyButtahfly

Reaction score
Just wanted to mention that I bought Christmas Eve on Sesame Street tonight- found it at Target and got really excited! :insatiable: