Extreme Muppet Makeovers

BEAR

Reaction score
I just read a new thread that someone put up (sorry, I forget who it was) about Zoot's changing look. This inspired me to start a new thread of discussion. Let's talk about other Muppet characters that have gone through some physical changes through the years. I know there are plenty of them, and they can be from any Muppet program/film. For example, the Zoot change... I guess he originally had a green face, then later he was bluish and his head changed shape, and apparently he is green again (strange!). What others are there? Two that I can think of off the top of my head are Gonzo and Bunsen. Is it me or did Bunsen "lose weight" in his head?

Vic Romano

Reaction score
This topic has been discussed before and I love hearing peoples thoughts and studies on Muppet evolution. There was a thread noticing that Piggy's nose seems to have gotten bigger, here are some of the things I've noticed:

* Kermit lately seems to have a lot of extra skin, look in MFS, there's some scenes he seems to have weighed 300 pounds and then lost it all but still has the skin left over like Fat Bas**** from the end of Austin Powers 3. Eew!
* Gonzo seems taller (silly I know)
* Animal seems skinnier and younger (bags under his eyes seem smaller)
* :boo: and :sleep: dress like models from the kids section of a JC Penney catalog circa 1994
* It was only one scene (and I'm actually surprised no one mentioned it) but did :confused: have clear rimmed glasses in MWoO? It looked like it to me.
* Ernie's hair has gotten shorter it seems

BEAR

Reaction score
Vic Romano said:
This topic has been discussed before and I love hearing peoples thoughts and studies on Muppet evolution. There was a thread noticing that Piggy's nose seems to have gotten bigger, here are some of the things I've noticed:

* Kermit lately seems to have a lot of extra skin, look in MFS, there's some scenes he seems to have weighed 300 pounds and then lost it all but still has the skin left over like Fat Bas**** from the end of Austin Powers 3. Eew!
* Gonzo seems taller (silly I know)
* Animal seems skinnier and younger (bags under his eyes seem smaller)
* :boo: and :sleep: dress like models from the kids section of a JC Penney catalog circa 1994
* It was only one scene (and I'm actually surprised no one mentioned it) but did :confused: have clear rimmed glasses in MWoO? It looked like it to me.
* Ernie's hair has gotten shorter it seems
Thanks for humoring me on this topic. I love to discuss it though i have never really had the chance to with anyone.
Gonzo is not only taller, he is just plain bigger. I really notice this when I watch the first 3 films or The Muppet Show. He was so tiny back then! He has gone through several changes in his face alone.
Bunsen--I didn't notice the glasses, but I will go back and check again. I have noticed something different in his head/face. His head seems to be a different shape these days. It doesn't seem as round as it used to. Also, was his nose always that size?
We all know Piggy has evolved a lot between The Muppet Show and today. The beginning of TMS she wasn't even a full time player yet was she? Anyway, I think her face is fuller and in my opinion, more beautiful. Of course her hair is always changing, as it should. She is a high profile woman afterall and needs to keep up with modern trends.
Kermit seems to look GREENER...but maybe it is just cuz the picture quality and cinematography is better nowadays.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Hmm, I think I agree with you on the Greener Kermit, he's almost electric green, kinda' neon. I'm glad someone else feels the same about Gonzo, I'm not crazy! And now that I look at it, yes; Bunsen's nose is larger. I guess the question is; "Are these intentional changes? Or just imperfections, not payin' attention to the blue prints, or what?"

BEAR

Reaction score
Vic Romano said:
Hmm, I think I agree with you on the Greener Kermit, he's almost electric green, kinda' neon. I'm glad someone else feels the same about Gonzo, I'm not crazy! And now that I look at it, yes; Bunsen's nose is larger. I guess the question is; "Are these intentional changes? Or just imperfections, not payin' attention to the blue prints, or what?"
:grouchy: Oscar has also gone through some interesting changes. First, as we all know, he was orange when he first appeared, and then changed to green. Green is the color to stick, BUT didn't he go through several shades of green, or am I crazy? I think the SIZE of his head has jumped around a bit.

BIG BIRD has also evolved. When he first walked down the street, Big Bird didn't have an age. He was just a big goofy, silly bird creature who wasn't so bright. He was rather sad looking too. He was skinny and had a small head with barely any feathers on top. When Spinney decided he should be a bright 6 yr old, he decided to alter Big Birds look a bit, adding feathers --especially on top to make a fuller head and brighter face. Spinney's voice for the character ended up changing as well (intentionally, I am not sure).

MWoO

Reaction score
I'm not sure if OScar went through various colors of green of if it is just the quality of film/tape over they ears. Probably both. Each time a puppet is rebuilt, sometimes a shade of color will change.

BEAR

Reaction score
I just read, in Henson's original sketch concepts of Oscar, the grouch was purple before becoming orange. It wasn't until season 2 of SS that Oscar became the green we enjoy today.

HPDJ

Reaction score
Piggy's eyes look BAD in TMS but get better as the series goes on...

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Dr. Busen Honeydew has changed. He is a lot skinner than he was in the original three muppet movies and on the Muppet Show. Maybe Dave complained that the puppet was to heavy to handle at times.

ryan

BEAR

Reaction score
I have come up with a theory today about Gonzo's evolution and it is probably unintentional but here me out... Gonzo has grown up a lot as a character. He is much bigger than he used to be so maybe he has grown physically, and he seems to have mellowed out atleast a little in the last decade while still being himself and remembering his odd history. He is an adult now. What about you guys?