Etienne Delessert's version of "Bein' Green"

SkyeFan

Reaction score
This is VERY interesting!

I figure most are familiar with the work of Swiss artist Etienne Delessert. His work contributed for "Sesame Street" is rather, well...fascinating, yet unsettling in some degree, but mostly fascinating without question. Some of his animations are, to name a few, the one with the giant rabbit , the variation on Aesop's classic tale of "The Fox and the Crow", the overgrowing frog with the ox (which I believe was also inspired by Aesop), and of course, the cartoon with the curly-tounged iguana, the apple tree, and the scary-faced mountain all accompanied by a Scottish or Irish-sounding soundtrack of bagpipes. His animations look quite like Monty Python cartoons, nonetheless.

Well, apparently I had found out that back in November, at a special celebration for "Sesame Street's" recent anniversary, there was a screening of an animated version of the classic song "Bein' Green" done by Etienne Delessert. I only suppose those who had fortunately been able to attend this special event, which I believe was held in New York, had gotten to see this very rare animation.

I do have some questions about this segment. Has this ever aired on the show at all, or was it just created with intentions on airing, and was instantly rejected? If anything, I guess the show's producers just may not have cared for its style (I assume it has very unusual and rather startling visuals), and figured children would find it more intimidating than appealing. Somehow the other cartoons created by this same artist had aired on the show, much less made it to the show. It makes me wonder if a particular cameo was made during the lyrics "...or important like a mountain...", minus the apple tree.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
We've been looking into it and haven't come across it yet in an episode. It's possible it might not have aired; the imagery is extremely surreal. And it also uses Frank Sinatra's version of the song, which they might have had trouble getting the rights to in the end.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Would the scripts refer to it as "Bein' Green" or some other title? Perhaps there's scripts that list "Animation: Bein' Green", or "Bein' Green" without a first appearance episode number (or with one, as the wiki knows the first appearances of the others). Or a "Bein' Green" that does not mention Kermit singing the song (I assume the titles in scripts list Kermit as being in the segment).

I wonder why they used the Frank Sinatra version. Though wouldn't it be just as easy to replace the recording with a classic Kermit recording if necessary?