Ernie attempts number one

Bob Smith

Reaction score
Good Job! Is there any way you could give me the pattern? Thanks

downunderbatman

Reaction score
Hi Bob,

I can't give you the pattern, but it's purchasable from Project Puppet's website. It's the forma series rotundo puppet pattern. Probably a little more rounded than the real Ernie but once the hair and features are on it's pretty close. It's one of the more expensive patterns as you need to purchase the additional fleece head covering pattern but it's absolutely worth it. Those patterns are what has taught me most (apart from research on this forum) about making the puppets I have made. All of my puppets to date have been from one of project puppets patterns, except my kermits head, hand/arms and feet/legs. All my other patterns were either exact or alterations of those patterns. The descriptions they give are also really helpful to get you through the build.

The body above was a slightly enlarged version of the rotundo standard body, but it's still not right. I'm going to finish the above Ernie, then order some white antron fleece, dye it the correct orange and remake him with a larger body and try to find the right way to do his shirt. I'd like to give it the proper stitched/knitted top look but I'm not really sure how to go about doing that. I don't think you can buy that sort of material, I think I may need to learn how to knit unfortunately.

If anyone has any helpful hints to Ernie's proper striped shirt I'd be eternally grateful. Until then, he'll be fashioned in a sleeping top from a really simple pattern with no buttons, just basically a pull-over fleece jumper type top.

Greg

downunderbatman

Reaction score
I think the hair definitely needs to be wider (closer to the ears) next time also. I think that will help give it a more football shaped head.

downunderbatman

Reaction score
I decided to complete Ernie as he is, but with a wider body and complete his arms and give him his own shirt. As I had no idea how to re-create the real shirt he wears, I decided to give him an easy to make bed shirt. I'm definitely planning to remove the current hair and cut a larger piece. It needs to be significantly wider, and go further back on his head and a little further down on his forehead. I'm also going to make a bed hat for him as he often wears those in the original skits.

My eventual plan is to donate this to a friend with kids and remake him with proper antron but want to work out all the details and do him with his proper striped shirt if I'm going to re-do. If anyone has any helpful hints towards making, finding the shirt I would be very appreciative. Anyway, here are some updated pics. My son absolutely adores him now, and he's very cuddly. I'd already attached the head to the smaller body, so just added a larger body over the top, seems to have worked alright to help complete this puppet.