Ernie attempts number one

downunderbatman

Reaction score
Hi all,

as I mentioned in my previous post, I've just now purchased all the patterns from Project Pattern so am trying to find puppet projects to make with them that will also be well received by my little boy.

I purchased the forma series with fleece coverings. This is the rounder pattern (I think the rotundo). I know Ernie is more football shaped, but I had some spare orange fleece lying around so decided to use it to make an Ernie'ish puppet. His body is way too small. I made several attempts to create my own pattern for a larger body but it failed. I also didn't have enough fleece to go much larger, I don't really have enough to make his arms and my local shop does not stock any fleece during Summer, so I'm out until at least May/June locally.

I'm going to make a bed shirt out of another fleece I purchased which will include live hands. I'm hoping I can use the bed shirt to create his arms to save enough fleece to do the hands. Still trying to work out a good hand pattern as I know Ernie's hands are very different to the borsa puppet's live hands which is just two identical pieces sewn together. I notice on Ernie his thumb is forward like a glove, so I'm going to find a cheap glove to dissect to get the idea of the pattern.

anyway, onto the pics. His black hair probably isn't wide enough, and the ears are droopy and I think angled to much, but I'm not going for an exact replica, the shirt is too difficult to do an exact replica anyway. My son recognised it, so that's a start, I'm not entirely happy with it as an Ernie replica, so I'm calling it Ernie'ish. I think it's going to be a nice puppet either way, so for that I'm happy.

Hope you enjoy my progress so far. Comments, advice, particularly on the hands and body always appreciated and well received.

Greg

HeyButtahfly

Reaction score
Wow, I'm really impressed. I'm not a puppet-maker but I wanted to say that I really like it!

Plaid Fraggle

Reaction score
I looked at the pics before reading your own opinions on your work (I know, I know, I'm bad), but let me just say that you really are great at being honest with yourself about your progress and also have a great flair for creative problem-solving (i.e., Ernie's hand situation)!

His "Ernie smile" (the upturned fleece at the mouth) and the mouth in particular is so nicely done. As far as the body goes, yes, it is small, but you acknowledge it and as long as you get the fleece and understructure you need, you will eventually be good to go if you ever get around to that.

All in all I can say you should be extremely pleased with this puppet, he looks awesome! :big_grin: I tend to have the most trouble with mouths/mouthplates myself. I'd love to perform with him if I were you, haha :stick_out_tongue:

downunderbatman

Reaction score
The pupils were just black felt circles with sticky backing from the hardware store they are used for the legs of furniture on wooden floors. If you look up my previous posts I put some more details about where I found the eye blanks.

Greg

Hubert

Reaction score
I like this. Very nice job. :stick_out_tongue:

downunderbatman

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments I was happy as this was my first attempt at a forms series puppet as well as Ernie.