Empire acquires rights to Jim Henson screenplay

What do you think of Empire acquiring the rights to the Henson screenplay?

• The movie is a great idea. I hope that it gets produced.

Votes: 44 46.8%
  • I'm concerned that it can be done well and will honor Jim.

Votes: 26 27.7%
  • It's not worth doing if either Disney or Sesame don't support the movie.

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • I don't want to see it. Hollywood will likely misrepresent Jim’s life.

Votes: 9 9.6%

• Total voters

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
That Empire company looks like a dud to me - this would be my biggest concern. If someone or some business of credibility were behind the project then it might be exciting.

It is a PR thing totally - they may have acquired the rights to a screenplay but in no way have they acquired the rights to Jim Henson. Isn't he and his image trademarked by now - sure he is.

We'll all be keeping our eyes peeled though - like I said earlier, "You never know what will happen in Hollyweird~!" It's an old saying that we all use here because it rings so true.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
this may bring out a side of jim that some die hard muppet fans don't want to see.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
As long as it's accurate and balanced, I don't mind if they bring up some dark points occasionally. We are all of us human beings and none of us are perfect. I think most people understand that these bio pic films mainly rely on drama. ::shrugs:: I'd still give it a try.

wes

Reaction score
There is just no way it could possibly happen in the way fans want without both Henson and Disney involved. Also they just said LIKE Penny Marshall - not sure how they'd afford someone on her level, top lead actor, theater distribution and licenses from both Henson and Disney, and then Disney would NEVER let the Muppets appear on the big screen without their real performers so they'd have to sort that. Not jinxing it, just stating facts, it will never happen the way they are saying, its just PR talk.
Ok, If you say so!:wisdom:

BEAR

Reaction score
I'm probably alone here, but what about Drew Carey as Jerry Juhl?

theprawncracker

Reaction score
I'm probably alone here, but what about Drew Carey as Jerry Juhl?
...Whoa. Actually... that is a very, very close match Bry! Ooh I'm mulling that over in my head, and really liking it. Ooooh...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Welll....hmmmm...I can kinda see a resemblance. But there would have to be more than that. Hmm....

BEAR

Reaction score
Welll....hmmmm...I can kinda see a resemblance. But there would have to be more than that. Hmm....
Yes, I think that the look is what made me think of him at first, but Drew Carey also has such a jolliness about him as well as a genuine warmth. I think Carey could capture the sense of humor. He was a television writer too. And those glasses! Haha!

Then again, maybe it would be better if there weren't any big named celebrities in this production. It could be distracting if not done the right way.

I dunno...I am just so excited about this. I really hope the film actually gets made because this is probably the biggest and most important thing to have happen for us Muppet fans.

Luke

Reaction score
I dunno...I am just so excited about this. I really hope the film actually gets made because this is probably the biggest and most important thing to have happen for us Muppet fans.
I think you are imagining this as a Henson/Disney movie, and yes that would indeed be fantastic if it was - but it isn't. I don't think people fully understand that at all. It would be great to have a film of Jim's life if Disney/Henson were to partner up with a big film studio and make something like Man On The Moon but this definitely isn't it.

:attitude: