Electric Mayhem Origins

Beauregard

Reaction score
lowercasegods said:
Beauregard my friend, the truth is out there. If you can find a copy of Christopher Finch's book "Of Muppets & Men" (long out of print but available in a surprising amount of libraries), On page 54 along the right margin there are original design sketches by Michael K. Frith of Dr. Teeth, Floyd and Janice. In what would become Janice's design, the yet unnamed character is obviously male, with the familiar big lips and a segmented BEARD (not too common a trait on most women). In Frith's written notes for the character the text reads: "Nearly white hair, two whisps of a beard....No eyes, overlarge mouth like M. (Mick) Jagger, animated Adam's apple, utterly emaciated...." The whisps of beard should be enough to prove the character's sexuality. But compunded with the fact that the character is based on Mick Jagger (a man), that the character has an Adam's apple (an exclusively male trait) and that it was specified that this character would evolve into Janice, then the facts are pretty overwhelming. If this isn't enough to convince you, then nothing will. But don't just assume somebody got their facts wrong because you didn't know any better.
Ah, LCgoods, my friend, I knew full well that Janice was originally a man. Maybe I did not word my post too well, but I was pointing out that is it hard to believe it, not that I did not believe it.

I believe that facts, but I say we should all give a big sigh of relief that Janice is the beauty she is today, while also sighing for the fact that we didn't get a cool Muppet with an animated Adam's apple.

Bea*flirt*{Like, who would believe it, fer sure}regard

lowercasegods

Reaction score
After seeing the original design I think the male Janice would have been a very cool puppet. However, Janice is a wonderful character and I wouldn't want her to change, either.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Who are the band from MT? And what are they've origins? Does anyone know?

Harvey Towers

Reaction score
I think one of them was called Jouls, but I don't remember them ever being used much, save the whistling during the theme music.

Gideon

Reaction score
For the two of you debating over Janice and Mick Jagger there was once on a sesame street homevideo a thing based of VH1 with a Song based of the rolling stones with I can't get no cooperation (satisfaction) the only one that looked like the real musician was the one based of Jagger the drummer had a big head Charlie Watts' head is small no bandana on the guitarist signifying richards the bassist didn't look like Wyman and the Keyboardest had spikey hair un like Jones who was multi instruments

Mario

Reaction score
I always felt that Janice looked like Mary Travers of Peter Paul and Mary.

I cant find any pics of her with her eyes closed and her mouth open, head tilted back, like I saw on tv once, but here's this Mary Travers

Vic Romano

Reaction score
When I played keyboard in a band, I wore rings on every finger, but only when I played, that way when people asked why I only wore them when we had a gig, I got to tell them it was my tribute to Dr. Teeth.

lowercasegods

Reaction score
Mario said:
I always felt that Janice looked like Mary Travers of Peter Paul and Mary.

I cant find any pics of her with her eyes closed and her mouth open, head tilted back, like I saw on tv once, but here's this Mary Travers
I hadn't heard this anywhere, but it seems pretty reasonable that Janice was inspired in part by Carly Simon, whom she resembles quite a bit. I don't know if this strengthens the case, but in one of the earliest issues of Muppet Magazine, they held a Muppet look alike contest and paired off Janice with Carly Simon. Seen side by side, the evidence was pretty strong.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
I love this, it's listed in another forum but it shows Vrscae as a Janice look alike, even though that obviously isn't who she's resembled after.

Mario

Reaction score
Vic Romano said:
When I played keyboard in a band, I wore rings on every finger, but only when I played, that way when people asked why I only wore them when we had a gig, I got to tell them it was my tribute to Dr. Teeth.
That's an awesome tribute!!! :big_grin: Keep it going!

And, to lowercasegods, I don't think that Janice was modeled after Mary Travers, I just thought that she looked a lot like her, :flirt:

And, those muppet pics with the people they look like are awesome!