Early Reports: Looks like Muppets will be #2 (next to Twilight)

muppet maniac

Reaction score
I can't decide which is more horrific: the fact that Twi-turd-light made it to #1 at the box office beating The Muppets, or the fact that this poor excuse for a fantasy franchise is what we're getting here in Thailand instead of The Muppets.

At any rate, all I have to say is :eek: and :grouchy:

Drtooth

Reaction score
The idea of Twilight coming out ahead of the Muppets sickens me. I knew it was a foregone conclusion, but it doesn't make it any less annoying. But I look at it this way. Ten years from now no one will remember Twilight while the Muppets will still be chugging along winning new fans and entertaining old ones.
It's popular with an annoying fan base, sure. That's all it needs to be to get that kind of Box Office. The Muppet's TRUE telling of value or worth is if it could come in before Happy Feet, Arthur Christmas, and Hugo. It's a family movie, and it has family movies as competition. Twilight is far too sexual to be a family movie. Maybe something suburban moms take their tweens to, but not younger kids. And let's not forget, Muppets doesn't have an international world wide release just yet. It seems it's going to make budget or slightly better over the weekened. Hopefully the Wednesday spike isn't just from Muppet die hards that wanted to see it on opening day... Something tells me Twilight's only going to get in a couple good weeks because everyone who wants to see it will see it in those two weeks.

Twilight's kinda the reason why Monsters University was bumped from the November 2012 line up... Muppets wouldn't have really fared too well later than the release date it got. It would have been lost in the summer shuffle, if it was released during Christmas, it would've been clobbered by CGI Chipmunks (like Princess and the Frog was). Somehow, the competition seemed stronger in November/December this year than all of Summer... I mean, there was a month or so gap between Kung Fu Panda and Cars, the two most anticipated kid's movie franchises... and even then, they were spaced apart from any of the Super Hero movies. The only kids movies to do poorly were ones that were low key like Judy Moody (who expected that to do well) and some Selena Gomez Prince and the Pauper knockoff. Sadly, also Winnie the Pooh, but that was destined for better things on home video anyway.

So, the movie's doing well, getting great reviews, the small amount of Merchandise is selling sharply... the DVD sales and rest of the international box office will be the judge, but it seems everything's good so far... unless the other bad kiddy flicks get a bump today through Sunday.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Eh, my sister didn't have one. But the thought of seizures turns me into a hypochondriac and the word seizure triggers my gag reflex. Hopefully that scares some people right into the loving felt embrace of chickens singing "Forget you."

So anyone know if this is still doing strong?

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Just a quick point--and I know I don't have to sell anyone here on it:

Most of us will go to see The Muppets more than once. That won't happen with people taking children to kiddie movies. So, don't feel guilty for going more than once--think if it as doing your part to help the economy!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I indeed want to see it again... but I can't decide if I wanna see it again this week, or wait until next. I think I might rather do it next week, ONLY because I get a whole week to digest the film before seeing it again. I'd go every day for the next month if I could, but that's not monetarily possible for me.