Early Reports: Looks like Muppets will be #2 (next to Twilight)

dwmckim

Reaction score
1. Twilight Saga’s Breaking Dawn Part 1 (Summit) Week 2 [4,066 Theaters]
Wednesday $12.5M, Estimated 5-Day Holiday $58M

2. The Muppets (Disney) NEW [3,440 Theaters]
Wednesday $7.3M, Estimated 5-Day Holiday $50M

3. Happy Feet Two 3D (Warner Bros) Week 2 [3,606 Theaters]
Wednesday $3M, Estimated 5-Day Holiday $23M

4. Arthur Christmas 3D (Sony Pictures) NEW [3,376 Theaters]
Wednesday $2.8M, Estimated 5-Day Holiday $22M

5. Immortals 3D (Relativity) Week 3 [3,120 Theaters]
Wednesday $2.2M, Estimated 5-Day Holiday $15M

6. Jack & Jill (Sony) Week 3 [3,438 Theaters]
Wednesday $2.1M, Estimated 5-Day Holiday $15M

7. Puss In Boots 3D (DreamWorks Animation/Par) Week 5 [3,005 Theaters]
Wednesday $2M, Estimated 5-Day Holiday $15M

8. Hugo 3D (Paramount) NEW [1,277 Theaters]
Wednesday $1.6M, Estimated 5-Day Holiday $11M

9. Tower Heist (Universal) Week 4 [2,474 Theaters]
Wednesday $1.4M, Estimated 5-Day Holiday $10M

10. The Descendants (Fox Searchlight) Week 2 [390 Theaters]
Wednesday $1MK, Estimated 5-Day Holiday $8M
http://www.deadline.com/2011/11/fir...ets-2-happy-feet-3-arthur-christmas-4-hugo-5/

beaker

Reaction score
I have nothing but utter contempt and loathing for Twilight. A series that glamourizes the worst memes and attitudes of our broken society. But you know, at my theatre(I live in yuppy soccer mom suburbia...as much as I woulda liked to see the movie at a hipster/bohemian college crowd place) hardly ANYONE was going to see twilight or happy feet. It was "yeah I need 5 tickets for the Muppets", "2 for the muppets please"...it was people all giddy and grinning coming out of the muppet theater. 2 year olds, 80 year olds. it was grand

beaker

Reaction score
If there wasn't a no profanity rule on this forum I'd have a thing or two to say on Twilight. :mad:
Heh...I kind of like the no swearing rule...forces us to be creative. Frelling heck!

But the ONLY positive thing about Twilight: its getting people(mostly younger girls) to read. And thats good. The advent of reading for fun seems to be a dying past time.

Unlike Harry Potter, there doesnt seem to be a celebration of imagination or any good messages in the series. I could be wrong tho

Reaction score
Well it's GoshDang Bent Salami.
That's what it is. I wrote enough profanity on that comment board to satisfy me. Especially towards that one idiot who wrote that the Muppets were "glorified toddler toys", That really lit a fire under me.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I have nothing but utter contempt and loathing for Twilight. A series that glamourizes the worst memes and attitudes of our broken society.
I just think it glorifies bad writing. It's just all around bad, and the acting is wooden. not comedically wooden. It's a lame sex fantasy and nothing more.

But HAH! The pathetic opening of Arthur Christmas makes me happy. It only did 0.8 million better than a movie that opened a month ago, Puss in Boots. While I am all amped up to see Aardman's Stop motion Pirate movie, I did lose respect for this with this one. The plot is straight out of the Disney special Prep and Landing, references to Bush policy (No Child left Behind, huh? Got any dimple chad jokes you wanna get in there too?), and the highly predictable clumsy loser winds up saving the day cliche. Not to mention those are the ugliest character designs I've ever seen, especially the elves. Does everyone have to have a huge, red nose?

Still, it's only just the Wednesday estimates. Hopefully it can keep that fire going all weekend long so we can REALLY say that the Muppets are back.

beaker

Reaction score
It's a lame sex fantasy and nothing more.
Which, pushes and celebrates the bad contemporary memes and body/mental attitudes too many young girls fall into in America. Being spoiled, cold acting young women, only thinking beefcake bad boys are attractive, the blurring of good and evil.
I mean as much as I dislike the current crop of kids cgi/cgi-live action hybrids, at least its not aggressively pushing too many destructive brainwashing tropes.
Heck, I have to say I actually didnt cringe too much from the chipmunks 3 trailer(til the very last moment)

Narpin

Reaction score
hardly ANYONE was going to see twilight or happy feet. It was "yeah I need 5 tickets for the Muppets", "2 for the muppets please"...it was people all giddy and grinning coming out of the muppet theater. 2 year olds, 80 year olds. it was grand
...wish I could say the same. I was at a 7:40 pm show at one of the busiest theaters in the suburban Philly area and the theater was half empty.

I turned to my friend and said, 'This doesn't bode well on opening night".

:frown:

Still, even if it does a disappointing opening weekend, the reviews are stellar and I could see positive word of mouth being a huge boost.

jacobsnchz

Reaction score
This just means we need to see the movie a few extra times! :wink:

Barry Lee

Reaction score
We can't garuntee whether or not it will be number two until the end of the weekend. Either way it's getting critical acclaim and 2 is always better than 3. :batty: