Earl Kress - In Memoriam of an MC Family Member

Harvey Towers

Reaction score
I, like others, didn’t really interact with Was Once Ernie but I thoroughly enjoyed him sharing his “behind the scenes” memories of “The Muppet Movie.” There is a theory that the most interesting and perhaps most truthful version of history is written by those neither entirely inside or outside an event but by those on the perimeter or the margin. While I doubt that this theory is watertight it is one I have a good deal of time for and Was Once Ernie’s recollections are fine example of it, but they are also a fascinating insight into how one of the most visually striking, memorable and touching Muppet scenes was filmed. I’m very sorry to hear that Earl is no longer with us and my best to his loved ones.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Denise Kress posted this today, and is just a wonderful honor for such a wonderful man!

Earl Kress and Dwayne McDuffie Receive 14th Annual WGAW Animation Writers Caucus Writing Award

LOS ANGELES -- Animation writers Dwayne McDuffie and Earl Kress have been posthumously named co-recipients of the Writers Guild of America, West Animation Writers Caucus’ (AWC) 14th Annual Animation Writing Award, recognizing their outstanding contributions to the craft of animation writing, as well as ......their work with the Writers Guild in organizing animation.

The AWC’s lifetime achievement award will be presented to McDuffie’s and Kress’ widows, Charlotte (Fullerton) McDuffie and Denise Kress, at the AWC’s 2011 meeting, reception, and awards ceremony held tonight at WGAW headquarters in Los Angeles. 2003 honoree Mark Evanier will present this year’s award to Kress, and AWC member Matt Wayne will make the presentation to (Fullerton) McDuffie. WGAW Vice President Howard A. Rodman is set to introduce the evening.

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
That's absolutely fantastic! I only wish they were still here with us to receive such honors, though of course I know that Earl is 100% at peace, just waiting for the happy day when he is joined by all his loved ones and friends.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
It's awesome that they recieved this honor. He'd have been excited this close to a Muppet Movie to also get an award! :smile:

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
I feel bad hearing this... Sadly I only joined after this happened. R.I.P.
I was just wondering.... how did you know he passed away?

Xerus

Reaction score
I remember Earl sharing some wisdom with me when he was working on his past cartoons with Hanna/Barbera and Sunbow. May you Rest in Peace, Earl. I'm glad we got to know each other. God Bless you. -_-;;

beaker

Reaction score
For some reason I don't remember him at all, but it sounds like he had a pretty amazing life within the creative industry and was able to inspire people here. It's always extremely surreal when a real life person we see online passes away.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
He sounds like such a great guy.
Too bad I joined the forum after this happened, I didn't get the chance to know him...

DannyRWW

Reaction score
I was away from the forum for a while and just started being active again in November or so. I just now caught this post. How sad. I remember reading his many posts years agao but always loved his story where he explained why he used the name he used around here. What a nice guy and what a shame.

bingboingcutie

Reaction score
What??!? I didn't know he died! I didn't really know him at all, in fact, but I remember seeing him on the forum when I was just a kid and didn't have my own account. I thought so highly of everyone who posted on here, and I remember seeing him and his story and thinking, "Wow! He got to perform Ernie in the Muppet Movie! He must be really special!"
I miss you, Was Once Ernie. <3

BTW, have there been any other forum members here that have died?