DVD "Special Edition" Question

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Upon purchasing Cowboy Bebop: The Movie on DVD, I noticed that it had the words "Special Edition" across the top. Being it is the first time its been released in the US, I didn't think much of it. Then, I just saw the IAVMMC DVD cover in the press release article, and that has "Special Edition" on the top too. My question is, what constitutes the words "Special Edition" on a DVD? I know not all my movies on DVD have it on their covers, so what sets "SE" DVDs apart from any regular DVD?

-Matt

Traveling Matt

Reaction score
Hi Matt-

Boy, it's been forever since we talked last LOL :wink:

Anyway, the main difference is basically the special features. For example, next month there will be a two-disc "Special Edition" release of one of my favorite movies, Casablanca. The first one had trailers and a documentary hosted by Lauren Bacall. This next one will have, according to Amazon.com:

- Commentary by critic Roger Ebert
- Commentary by author-historian Rudy Behlmer
- Theatrical trailer(s)
- Introduction by Lauren Bacall
- New digital transfer
- Nearly 10 minutes of newly found deleted scenes and outtakes
- Bacall hosts two documentaries, "You Must Remember This" and "Bacall on Bogart"
- "The Children Remember": parental memories from Stephen Bogart and Ingrid Bergman's daughters Pia Lindstrom and Isabella Rosselini
- The Looney Tunes homage "Carrotblanca"
- Premier episode from the 1955 Casablanca TV series
- Audio-only treasures: "Screen Guild Players Radio Production" with the three stars, plus rare scoring session outtakes
- Production history gallery: Photos, press materials, studio correspondence, memorabilia, and more

So it's basically the addition of features that a normal edition wouldn't have. I'm still waiting for a good version of the Keaton/Nicholson Batman. All there is to date is the crummy version from about five years ago with NO special features. IAVMMCM is "Special Edition" because of things like the audio commentary, Inside Pepe's Studio, etc. Things that the filmmakers/actors had to go out of their way to make (not including things like trailers or a digital transfer).

Hope this helps :smile:

- Billy :cool:

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Thanks so much Billy, you've helped tremendously. I still think "Special Edition" is misleading. I mean, why doesn't the cover just say something like "with Bonus Features" or something? "Special Edition" implies that there is something special about the film itself, in my opinion. Oh well, at least now I'm in the know about it.

-Matt

electricmayhem

Reaction score
I generally only get DVD's if they have good bonus features because I like behind the scenes stuff so much. So I have a couple "special edition" ones that have tons of interviews and makings of and whatnot. :smile:

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
ahh they just call it special edition...or collector's edition...come on....who collects DVD's? I have them, but not a 'collection'

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
sarah_yzma said:
ahh they just call it special edition...or collector's edition...come on....who collects DVD's? I have them, but not a 'collection'
I think you'd be incredibly surprised...

-Matt

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
people do collect the oddest things *looks at her own collection of hershey's kiss wrappers with the little flaggy rolled up inside* It's just a marketing ploy (much like different colored kisses!)

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
just curious....do you keep them in the shrink wrap and display them and stuff? so do you have to buy two? just curious

grail

Reaction score
Hey Matt...how's come we never talk no more?

But seriously, my thinking on it is fairly cynical...if they market this as the "special edition" (btw, I picked it up too...I love BeBop!), then they can turn around and sell a stripped-down movie only version and get the people who would have bought it if it were cheaper (with a new cover so the really addicted would buy it), and then make a version with even more stuff than what's already there, and call that the "collector's edition".

Many of us geeks eat that crap up...like the fact that I've got 3 different versions of Army of Darkness, or the LOTR stuff. They make tons of money off of the same people. Not to say they're going to, but it leaves the door open.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go buy that "Collector's Edition" copy of Monty Python and the Holy Grail that comes with the leatherbound slipcase and book.