Does anyone else wish the series was more like the S&V pilot?

AquaGGR

Reaction score
A few days ago I rewatched the Sex & Violence pilot after not having seen it for many years, and found myself enjoying it even more than I did the first time around. It may be a hot take, but does anyone else wish TMS followed more in line with the vibe of that pilot?

I know a lot of people dislike it for being low energy and phrenetically paced, but I really dug those aspects of it. It’s got a stoned out, mid-‘70s vibe that I love more than the vaudeville revival aesthetic of TMS series proper. Just a lot of extremely strange ideas that aren’t couched in any punniness or tongue-in-cheek corniness. I feel like S&V leans more into the “groovy” side of the Muppets, whereas the actual series leans into their wackier side.

I noticed the pilot was directed by the late SNL director Dave Wilson, and it definitely does have a similar tonality to SNL’s first season. It makes me see that there’s an alternate universe where Land of Gorch could’ve worked, if Henson and co. were more willing to lean into that stranger, less manic style and the SNL writers weren’t total edgelords.

Thoughts?

Grumpo

Reaction score
Well, it likely would not have held for five seasons, but i would certainly love to see some "recently found" Muppet movie footage and/or a couple of specials done in cool'n'groovy 70s style -- by the original Muppets team! (sounds like an idea for April Fools Day, btw). I always suspected (or secretly wished) that the original The Cheapest Muppet Movie Ever Made could have been a nod to those days and attitudes.

Not so sure about using the same in later productions -- I think Josh Gad tried for something like that with 80s in his abandoned Muppets Live Another Day project. I was never sure if his "Muppets by way of Stranger Things" approach would actually work though.

muppet maniac

Reaction score
It may be a hot take, but does anyone else wish TMS followed more in line with the vibe of that pilot?
Honestly, as much as I enjoy the final product, I much prefer this version.
Maybe because I never really cared about the guest stars...I dont know. That's just me.