Does anybody think you're weird for watching Sesame Street?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I've actually never had any comments until recently, and just from one person. I'm honestly surprised it hasn't happened more often. But in the end, you can't worry too much about what others will think.

I don't think it's strange that I still enjoy certain kids shows, they are often much better written than the shows written for adults! And while the shows may be targeted to kids, they are made by talented and innovative adults who had to learn and develop their craft over many years. And they're fulfilling a very important role in our society, which is helping to mold our children's experiences in life.

Star Trek, oh yes, I've taken quite a beating for being a Trekkie in my life! That was really painful. Especially when I knew Star Trek was such a superior show.

Crazy31088

Reaction score
Anyone who makes fun of Star Trek either has never watched it or else they have and *they* are the weird ones. Seriously, what's not to like about it?

But anyway, back to Sesame Street...

ssetta

Reaction score
All the time. I can like whatever "I" want.

Larxene

Reaction score
My friends who also have shows they are big fans of think it's a bit eccentric but they understand. They fangirl/fanboy their own childish things (I know folks my age who are hardcore Mario gamers and fans of Transformers!) It's the adults, the grumpy serious grown-ups who can't even find anything amusing about a kid's toy, who give me the most grief for it. Moreso when they find out I not only watch Sesame Street but Plaza Sesamo as well... and I don't understand Spanish at all.

Then again, those are the same folks who think Survivor is excellent televison and obsess over the lives of actors and actresses. No thanks, I'd rather watch Super Grover!

Drtooth

Reaction score
The people who'd think you're weird for watching Sesame Street are likely in the same bunch that think the juvenile bed hopping in "Gray's Anatomy" is sophisticated, watch shows that pay supermodels to eat a bug on a deserted island or are the reason "According to Jim" stays on the air. I wouldn't worry about it. Sesame Street makes me smile (even some of the bits with Elmo). Most of the people who'd judge you for it are likely projecting their inferiority complex onto you.

I'm giving you a gold star for that one. Especially for the "According to Jim" refference. "Jim" clearly seems like a contractual obligation for ABC, and a throwback to 2000 or so when people pretended they wanted "Quality" family entertainment., and wound up getting "Quantity" family garbage (Hope and Faith, 8 Simple Rules, which wasted the talents of John Ritter and Katie Segal, and that pointless "Rodney" show starring a comedian I've never heard of). But that's another rant for another day.

I mean, yes. You get looks occasionally from people when you look at the SS old School sets at a store and say "Cool!" But take head in this fact- you're watching a show that's been around since 1969, almost 40 years, and maybe will last 40 years more. Other people watch tacky reality shows that are designed to humiliate, undermine, and turn people into animals. The Biggest Loser hides its seedy true self, making fun of fat people and humiliating them, under a false sense of "Inspirational" messages. While I do admit, I've found more shows to love right now, there still isn't too many quality things to watch on TV.

Even with Elmo and Elmo's world, I feel better watching Sesame over half the stuff out there. And who says that this is juvenile programming with Jerry Springer still doing what he does, and Maury Povich beating a dead "whose the father" over and over? Guilty pleasure my foot.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Just wanted to say I don't mind if other people like Grey's Anatomy, it's not that bad to me lol. But we all have our own opinions. :smile:

The majority of the reactions I get from people is they're sort of surprised, but also intrigued. They remember watching the Muppets years ago and they're impressed that people still enjoy quality shows. But like I said, I have had a couple people who are tolerant of my interest but don't really get it, lol.

It can be frustrating when people dismiss it all as a kid's show. And I feel bad for fans who have to deal with that stigma all the time. I try to explain that Sesame Street used to challenge kids a bit more and appealed to adults as well, but it's difficult to get that across.

I do think we are too concerned with what we're "supposed" to like and not like. Even people who claim to be rebellious and open minded, will then turn around and critique someone else's taste in entertainment. In the end, as long as you're not harming yourself and other people, you need to make up your own mind about things. Who cares if it's not popular? By the same token, don't hate something just because it happens to be popular now. The Muppet Show was one of the most popular and successful shows of its day. :wink:

MrsPepper

Reaction score
I used to get tons of attitude from people, but it's gotten better. I think it helps not to overreact when they question you. "Wow, you really watch Sesame Street?" "Yes, I do actually, on quite a regular basis." They can't really say much if you are just open and honest about it.

Convincing John

Reaction score
I don't think it's strange that I still enjoy certain kids shows, they are often much better written than the shows written for adults! And while the shows may be targeted to kids, they are made by talented and innovative adults who had to learn and develop their craft over many years. And they're fulfilling a very important role in our society, which is helping to mold our children's experiences in life.

Star Trek, oh yes, I've taken quite a beating for being a Trekkie in my life! That was really painful. Especially when I knew Star Trek was such a superior show.
First off, I'm very familiar with TNG, but not TOS. Data dancing with Dr. Crusher and doing that goofy grin...:big_grin: gotta love it.

Secondly, being considered weird for liking Sesame Street. I could write a book on this. Honestly, I have been teased and taunted so much for being a Henson fan, especially during the 80s and even into the 90s. The attitude of classmates: "A teenager liking the work of someone who is solely targeted to educate preschoolers? Preposterous!" (Enter proverbial torches, pitchforks, etc). I preferred the talent of Jim et al. over any of the absolute crud that was popular especially during the 80s. I was brave enough to say I was different and that bearded fellow with the Kermit-like voice was a genius at what he did.

I only wish I had Muppet Central and Tough Pigs back then. I don't know about you, but back then I felt like Gonzo staring at his photo on the mantlepiece. Distinct? More like extinct.

So far, telling people that I am a Henson fan is one of the last things I tell people about myself. It's just part of my experience growing up. Even recently I had an experience where someone criticized my admiration for Jim.

Why do people think we're weird for being SS fans? Partially, it's because Hollywood and popular society shoves this message down our throats: "You aren't "supposed" to like that stuff. You're "supposed" to like whatever McCelebrity is popular now and the new Fox show starring McCelebrity so-and-so." It wouldn't matter if it was a sitcom where McCelebrity plays a dolt or if they were on the new reality/game show "Let's Eat Disgusting Rancid Food and Creepy Crawly Things!" Yeah, that'll be nice to watch around dinner. Yecch!

As for Sesame Street, I'm more of an "old school" fan, so I don't see much of the new stuff. (I'm with Frank Oz on what he said in an earlier interview about it). Still, I give Sesame Workshop for sticking to a cirriculum and delivering material that will help educate children. Despite our debates about "Elmo's World", I'd rather have kids watch that with it's current content of "Food", "Jumping", "Weather" etc. than what's popular now on Fox, et al. Imagine if SW tried to conform their curriculum to that:

Elmo: "Oh, there's Mr. Noodle! Hi Mr...WOW!" (Mr. Noodle, now 400+lbs. waddles on camera) "Mr. Noodle is as big as Mr. Snuffle-pupagus! Oh, Elmo see! Mr. Noodle is gonna be on 'The Biggest Loser!' Get on the scale, Mr. Noodle!" (Camera shakes as Mr. Noodle thunders on the scale, flattening it). Elmo then sings the word "fat" to the tune of "Jingle Bells".

Jim Henson once said this about Fraggle Rock: "Our aim was to do a really good children's show. But if we do the show well, it's the kind of show that families and almost anyone can enjoy."

Straight from the horse's mouth folks. Anyone can enjoy. ANYONE.

Same can be said for Sesame. Coming from and artist's perspective with appreciation for music, here's my two cents from an old school fan:

I love Sesame Street for its artistry. There's the obvious puppeteers who bring the characters we know and love to life. These folks are artists and performers. I love the vocal ranges, the nuances in expression used in one hand (or sometimes two), the effort these people put into the show. I know their work and smile when I see not only my favorite Ernie and Bert or Cookie Monster bit onscreen, but admire the efforts of whatever Muppeteer as they strained their arms and craned their necks at monitors just to get a good performance.

Then there's the street itself. The environment has changed over the years, but "my" Sesame Street was the regular, slightly gritty inner city street I felt was just around the corner. It felt and looked real to me. A bow to the set designers and the wear and tear on the old place since 1969 adds to the authenticity and magic for me.

The animation. Why do so many fans keep bringing up the Jazzy Spies, the Pinball Number Count and the Baker films? To me, I love them because of their design. I want to put the Pinball Number Count insert from my Old School vol. 2 set in a little frame. Why? It's a work of art I know and love from my childhood. The composition, the color scheme, the impossible surreal imagery. A rocketship, the shooting gallery ducks, the sun balanced by the moon, surrounding a number in an ornate frame. It took a heck of a long time to animate, I'm sure. Having done complicated drawings like that, I can appreciate the end product of something that looked so beautifully complicated, yet speeds by in what...a minute?

These artists of animation over the years are dear to me. I love what Bud Luckey did with "That's About the Size of It". I love the Jazzy Spies series and I've loved the Baker films even more when I first heard that Jim did the original animation for them. I love Maurice Sendak's cross-hatched pen-style used in "Bumble Ardy". I love the "Yellow Submarine"-esque man with the yo-yo who helps the lost boy home. So many styles by so many artists of animation. It opened up my eyes as a child to artist's styles, perspective, color, detail and so much more. I still love those segments today. It's the same as appreciating a painting, but these are moving paintings. Should the love for a work of art be eliminated just for the sake of a person becoming older? I think not.

The music. Where would Sesame Street be without its music? Joe Raposo, Jeff Moss...still love their tunes. I was happy to hear Joe's original voice singing "Eveybody Sleeps" the other day. He's gone now, sadly, but still capable of bringing a smile to my face even today. He always will. I can't sing to save my life, but I do love good music. I also smile knowing that his sound reaches the ears of young ones like it did for me.

If I live to be an incredibly ancient geezer like Professor Farnsworth (from Futurama), I'll still love what these brilliant artists did for me, and continue to do for me. Fads come and go, but the love, togetherness, diversity, artistry and simple magic of my favorite street in the world will be something I will always enjoy and hold dear, regardless of what anyone else thinks.

Oh and I agree with Larxene. I'd rather watch :super: too. Hey, let's face it, Super Grover rocks (or should I say crashes into rocks?)

Convincing John

mikebennidict

Reaction score
I don't think it's pop culture.

From probably the beginning of time there have been things that are considered acceptable and not acceptable along with what's considered mature and immature.

There have been many times where I've found myself watching SS past the target age though and I hate to say this but in a way I've found it a bit odd myself. It's hard not to at least for me and I can't explain why.

So in some way I can understand why 1 might look at it as a bit strange when 1 enjoys a show aimed at young kids and all I can say there's some things in it that are just entertaining in it.

What I can't understand is some people's hostility at 1 who still enjoys a show like SS. Even if I had totally stopped watching SS ans saw someone my age still enjoying it I couldn't see myself and being so harsh on that person.

Someone that harsh such as the girl Convining John speaks about must really have issues of her own.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Very true, the hostility is a very strange phenomenon. Personally I think some of them are just jealous and resentful because they can't bring themselves to break out of "what's acceptable" in society and pop culture.

I don't want to blame pop culture too much, but it's always been part of pop culture and society in general for certain things to be mainstream and popular, and others to be put down as too old or too weird.