Do you think Rudy could become the new Elmo?

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
She's a bit like Elmo, in the sense that she gradually gained more prominence and popularity over the course of more than a decade. She's developed a lot over the years too, and I think she's one of the more well rounded of the show's main characters.
Carmen Osbahr doesn't get enough credit for how charming she makes Rosita. You can tell from her earliest appearances, she really stood out from the many short lived characters of the 90s.

Buff Beaker

Reaction score
Yeah Rosita is a great character. I think Sesame definitely tried to make Murray Monster a bigger character before the HBO deal. He was always very prominent with Elmo and Abby.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
As far as Murray goes, a lot of people foresaw him as becoming the new Elmo, so-to-speak, what with him becoming the sort of unofficial host of the show, getting his own segment, getting wrap-arounds and framing devices. Heh, I still remember when my friend Kevin Magpoc did this strip in his webcomic years ago:

http://idget.keenspace.com/d/20100223.html

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Character prominence, I feel, also depends on performer availabilities. You'd see a lot of Murray alongside Elmo and Abby because Joey was free do to do things vs, say, Ernie.

Buff Beaker

Reaction score
Just found this thread again and wanted to say Telly at one point was considered a very big main character. I wish Sesame Street did more with Telly.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
They tried to, Joey Mazzarino even tried writing more for him so he could shine a little brighter . . . the problem was he wasn't as relatable as a character for the little kids watching like Elmo is: Telly's too much of a Woody Allen/George Costanza/Jon Lovitz-esque kind of character, all of whom, of course, kids aren't familiar with, so they can't appreciate the parallel there.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
They tried to, Joey Mazzarino even tried writing more for him so he could shine a little brighter . . . the problem was he wasn't as relatable as a character for the little kids watching like Elmo is: Telly's too much of a Woody Allen/George Costanza/Jon Lovitz-esque kind of character, all of whom, of course, kids aren't familiar with, so they can't appreciate the parallel there.
Plus I remember Marty saying Telly is not a very cuddly character, he’s been through stuff also he’s not that marketable, there’s barely any Telly toys.

Buff Beaker

Reaction score
Yeah it really stinks because Telly is such a great character. I see Gonger has become a lot more popular now that he joined the show.