1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Forum Upgrade May 25
    We will be upgrading our forum software on Saturday May 25. This is a major upgrade that will add many new features and enhance security.

3. Radionomy ends May 31
    Radionomy has announced that all US stations, including Muppet Central Radio, will be removed on May 31, 2019.

4. You Can Be a Muppeteer
    Watch the Sesame Street Puppeteer Workshop with the amazing Sesame Street performers: Jennifer Barnhart, Matt Vogel and Marty Robinson.

Dismiss Notice
  5. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Do you think Rudy could become the new Elmo?

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by Buff Beaker, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Buff Beaker

Buff Beaker Well-Known Member

Do you guys think Rudy has the potential to become the new Elmo?

2. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

It's certainly something that crossed my mind when he was first introduced but, IDK. He's gotten quite a lot of favorable treatment from the show and merchandising, so that's a good sign.

So my answer is, I don't know if he could become the next Elmo, but I do really like him. I think he's a very cute character, and as the resident little brother of the group he serves a very similar function to Elmo's back in the 80s/early 90s. I think when people talk about Rudy becoming the next big star of the show they say it as if it'll happen over night. We can't forget that it took more than a decade for Elmo to become the show's biggest star.

BertFan, Froggy Fool and Blue Frackle like this.
  3. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Wasn't that what Abby was supposed to be? More specifically, the new girl Elmo?

4. Pig's Laundry

She was created to be the most marketable, merchandise selling female character on the show. Elmo was already the star and main toy seller, so I guess in a way Abby is the female equivalent to Elmo by default.

5. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

I dunno. I mean, he feels more of a real kid than Elmo, but I don't think he has that "hook" to differentiate him as anything more than a young male monster; I guess maybe the whole "step brother" thing, but he has to be more than that.

And lest we forget, characters come and go. Rudy may wind up facing the same fates as Lulu, Curly Bear, Juliet, Betty Lou, Farley, etc.

Blue Frackle likes this.
  6. MuppetSpot

MuppetSpot Well-Known Member

It is interesting how Betty Lou came back during the 90's as a way to add more girls but, was later forgotten by the turn of the new millennium.

7. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Heck, she was forgotten pretty much after the year they tried making a thing out of her.

8. D'Snowth

Then you've also got Ruby Monster and Merry Monster - both of whom were attempts at adding prominent female monsters to the street in the early 90s, but neither of them really caught on.

Ruby aside, honestly, Merry's design was really ambiguous and androgynous, I don't know if many kids or people would have identified her as a girl at first glance.

9. MuppetSpot

Yeah, I wonder how Lisa Buckley is doing nowadays.

10. Pig's Laundry

Not really sure what she's up to, I guess just living a normal life. She has a Facebook but she doesn't post very often. She has a son who appears to be either in his late teens or his 20s. She traveled to Tailand at some point late last year, and she was still working for The Jim Henson Company at least as late as 2003.

11. MuppetSpot

Maybe, she wants to live a nice and quiet life much like Brian Meehl. Which, I understand.

12. Buff Beaker

Buff Beaker Well-Known Member

Thanks for all of the replies guys. Yeah I think we have to see where this can lead to. Rudy may be the next Roosevelt Franklin where hes a one off character or he becomes the next big thing.

Pig's Laundry likes this.
  13. Froggy Fool

Froggy Fool Well-Known Member

Ha. Good job, Pig! :p

But yeah, I think he needs some time to develop as a character before he becomes as popular as Elmo. Personally, I'm not crazy about Rudy... he's really annoying (but so is Elmo to an extent and that didn't stop him from being a huge success!)

14. D'Snowth

I don't particularly find Rudy annoying, but I agree he needs more time to be developed as a character, because he's definitely got a Cousin Gary Oliver Stu thing going on right now.

Froggy Fool and Pig's Laundry like this.
  15. Pig's Laundry

I agree, he's kind of just a tagalong. He doesn't really have his own identity yet. Maybe he at least needs some kind of a schtick to help him stand out.

16. D'Snowth

Probably is, given the kind of character he is, that seems like that would be his schtick: the cute little tagalong baby (step)brother.

In all honesty, before we were introduced to Rudy on the show, and reading about some of the episode plots that involved him (like taking Abby's wand and getting into trouble with it), I foresaw him being an almost D.W.-esque kind of character: kind of a brat, and a bit of an annoyance to Abby. At first, I was relieved that he didn't turn out to be that kind of a character, mainly because it's just as much of a troperific characteristic for younger sibling characters, and would make Rudy too much of a cliche . . . but now, I'm wishing they kind of went that direction. I mean, he doesn't have to be exactly D.W. level of brattiness, but at least maybe give him a bit of a mischevious streak to make things a little more interesting: not only would that make Rudy himself more of an interesting character, but it could present some further development for Abby as well, putting her into a role of a responsible and somewhat flusterred big sister.

Then again, I know SS has really been pushing the kindness angle in recent seasons, and that really is all well and good, especially with the way the world is today, but as both @Oscarfan and I have been noting lately, the storytelling and quality of the street plots has been suffering quite a bit because of it - it's almost as if the writers are afraid of conflict, and that's where your story comes from: without conflict, you have no story, and the street plots as of late are more or less just random events and things happening rather than actual stories. And it's ironic, given that SS has two of the original ARTHUR writers now: Ken Scarborough and Joe Fallon, both of whom were notorious for some of those classic, old-school D.W. pesters Arthur and Arthur is about ready to blow his brains out scenarios (Joe especially).

If nothing else, the conflict could be written into the stories in a way that they serve as lessons for kids on how they could handle real-world conflicts. SS used to write stories like that.

Froggy Fool and Pig's Laundry like this.
  17. Daffyfan4ever

Daffyfan4ever Well-Known Member

I always thought Zoe was meant to be the female Elmo counterpart.

mbmfrog and Blue Frackle like this.
  18. D'Snowth

She was until Abby came along.

Blue Frackle and BEAR 2 like this.
  19. BEAR 2

BEAR 2 Well-Known Member

Yeah, Zoe was the it girl until Abby came along and she kinda got kicked to the curb. But Prairie wasnt seen quite as often either, which makes me wonder if part of it had to do with Fran wanting to slow down a little. Zoe is a great character!

Actually, it seems like the only character from the 90s that has had any staying power or even a rise in popularity is Rosita!

Blue Frackle likes this.
  20. D'Snowth

Well, they've explained it before: they really wanted a female Muppet on the show who could match Elmo's star power, but was sort of an "any-girl" character for little girls watching could really relate to; Prairie's too prissy and uptight, and Zoe's too quirky and eccentric.

Blue Frackle likes this.