Do you feel bad for liking Sesame Street?

zns

Reaction score
I agree completely that there's no point in trying to convert people who don't/won't accept that you like the show. Either stop talking to them, or do the mature thing and learn to move on when you find someone who disagrees with you.
I couldn't agree more with your statement. It's not just Sesame Street that gets me hyped up, but everything else that Jim has done as well; from The Muppet Show to Fraggle Rock, from The Dark Crystal to The Storyteller. We all have our own likes and interests, and at times they can be quite overpowering.

Now that I am in my twenties, I am becoming more and more open minded to other things in life. I enjoy music, art, reading, going to the movies and seeing different pays and musicals, or just hanging out with groups of people. More importantly though, I base my life around my family and God. Jim Henson's creations will always have a place in my heart. But other things in life matter as much to me as they do.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but these responses aren't getting me anywhere. You guys are just telling me what I WANT to hear. It actually wasn't until I branched out of Muppet Central and started posting on other message boards about my feelings for Sesame Street. And that person I was talking with whom which I posted in my first post of this thread, I actually met this person on a message board called The Fresh Zone, a board that is primarily focused on Britney Spears. Is there anything I can do to convince that person to see Sesame Street the same way we do? That person really scarred me.
Of course you can't convince anyone to change how they feel.

Why ever bother?

Just don't even talk to him or her.

Redsonga

Reaction score
We aren't just telling you what you want to hear, we are saying what each of us honestly thinks :smile: (and I am saying it, to, as a person that also has had a lifelong disability that makes me see the world differently. I'm sure there are many others :smile:.)
I have found it is better to not even give those "My way of seeing the world in all it's hating *insert happy, hopeful show here* glory is the only real way of living, wake up to it, stupid dreamer and stop being so idealistic!." people the time of day. They are about as good to try to talk into thinking any other way as a brick wall. And I'm tired of slamming my head into walls :stick_out_tongue:.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Very wise words: "You can't reason someone out of something that they didn't reason themselves into in the first place." :wink:

And also, sometimes people don't agree. It's not the end of the world as long as everyone is respectful.

Drtooth

Reaction score
And that person I was talking with whom which I posted in my first post of this thread, I actually met this person on a message board called The Fresh Zone, a board that is primarily focused on Britney Spears. Is there anything I can do to convince that person to see Sesame Street the same way we do? That person really scarred me.
With all due respect, that person likes Britney Spear's music. That's like someone telling you that "Citizen Kane" is the worst movie ever, and then saying the best movie ever is "Meet the Spartans." I'm sure you like her music too, and I do feel sorry for what the media has done to her. Still.... you shouldn't let people like that boss you around.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Right :smile:. Because once you start giving in to people like that it can get harder and harder to think for yourself when you like something they think is bad and always follow suit to feel like you belong...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I hope this doesn't sound wrong but it's often true that if you're into quality, you're going to find yourself in small company. That's just something you have to deal with in life sometimes.

Of course the more you broaden your horizons and the more people you meet, the more likely you'll find people who share your interests.

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but these responses aren't getting me anywhere. You guys are just telling me what I WANT to hear. It actually wasn't until I branched out of Muppet Central and started posting on other message boards about my feelings for Sesame Street. And that person I was talking with whom which I posted in my first post of this thread, I actually met this person on a message board called The Fresh Zone, a board that is primarily focused on Britney Spears. Is there anything I can do to convince that person to see Sesame Street the same way we do? That person really scarred me.
If the person doesn't want to "understand" Sesame Street, they aren't going to. You shouldn't get into a frenzy trying to find something "acceptable" from it (like a joke aimed at the grown ups watching with their kids, or a shoutout). Like I already said, don't sweat it, like what you like! Just telling you how I feel :smile: