Disney Takes Muppet Script Through Pixar

RedPiggy

Reaction score
ZeppoAndFriends said:
I like to think that the GOOD parts of VMX were the work of Jim Lewis and the BAD parts (like that bit with the violent Whos which makes me uncomfortable) were the sole fault of Tom Martin.

I'm probably not 100% right, but that thought helped me get to sleep that night. :smirk:
To me, it was only slightly parodying the Whos of the Jim Carrey version, as those people weren't exactly nice and saintly in that movie. They were outright cruel and vindictive, especially to the Grinch. So, any complaints about how the Whos were should complain to the source material. :smile:

I'm not going to complain too much about VMX and dated jokes. Just a casual run-through of the Muppet Show reveal lots of episodes where not only do I not have the slightest clue who those people are, but I never get around to caring, either. There ARE good timeless Muppet moments in the classic age, but there are just as many "you had to be there" moments too.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I see what you mean. But I still say it was a sign of the times. People weren't sick to death of said flat parody movies yet, and they were loving their Will and Grace (which was pop culture reference fest). The problem is when humor changes, it's painfully obvious. Now we're absolutely in love with awkward pauses. By "we" I speak generally. I hate awkward pause commercials SOOO much, but you all of course know that by now.

To me, the gags that work best are the ones that make fun of Christmas specials. Not just because a lot of them were timeless (Sam the Snowman parody for example), but it is a Christmas special after all. The only bits that really fall flat as far as I'm concerned are the Crock Hunter and the constant reminder that NBC has a new line up. Whoopi was in the movie to cross promote her show, which was long gone by the time this aired. And the Scrubs one smacked of no knowledge of the series whatsoever. But the Moulin Scrooge number, the Snowman, the reference to gift of the Magi... that stuff worked. The movie outside of that was pretty well written, and they even referenced the first movie with a Doc Hopper fast food counter. Even then, with the jokes it worked on a movie as a whole.

Again, Oz did the same exact thing, only a worse job doing it. Was their ANY reason Kelly Osborne had to be in there?

Mupp

Reaction score
Again, Oz did the same exact thing, only a worse job doing it. Was their ANY reason Kelly Osborne had to be in there?
If its any consolation, her cameo didn't appear in the televised version of the movie. But I do know what you mean.