Disney Enlists Segel & Stoller for new Muppets movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drtooth

Reaction score
:concern: Considering Segel's admiration for the original trilogy in which all of the films contained Sesame Street cameos (the Grouch was in all three) that maybe he'll try for SS cameos. We know how persuasive he was to Disney, maybe he can bridge Disney and Sesame Workshop...possibly Henson too? Heck, if it can be done Segel will get it done. I’m not holding my breath. I too felt the statement seemed to be written by somebody who doesn’t understand the separation of Muppet properties. Still, at this point I wouldn’t count :batty: anything out.
Personally, it would be great. Somehow I could see SW licensing them to the company for a cameo. I mean, go back and look at the credits for TMM and GMC... they both say "Big Bird [or in the case of GMC, Oscar] appears courtesy of Children's Television Workshop." So they had to get some permission to use them, even if Henson did own the characters at that point.

I mean, they get Disney's permission to have old Kermit footage in SS, why not make a deal to just send a couple SS puppets over. FR cameos may be a harder sell, though... but it could happen.

I wonder if any of the previous ones had any cameos scripted into them. I know MFS had Uncle Matt in the script... until Sony pulled that plug.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
sorry Frogboy my fault
No problem. I do agree with you on the importance of these crossovers and that they are unlikely to return. Still, I have my fingers crossed. I think if anybody these days could be a catylist to get the ball rolling with that it's Jason Segel. If he can't get it then it probably can't be done. :hungry: (random Swedish Chef icon just because...bork)

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
Matt, when you say the magic of the crossover... I'm confused. In my mind they were just small cameos like Bird Bird in TMM. Was there some deeper symbolism or meaning that I missed?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Matt, when you say the magic of the crossover... I'm confused. In my mind they were just small cameos like Bird Bird in TMM. Was there some deeper symbolism or meaning that I missed?
I can't speak for mat Matt, but I feel those brief cameo or crossover moments are very magical in that they broaden the scope of the Muppetverse and world of Henson. It visually portrays the current state of Henson (Muppet) characters aware of one another, occupying the same space and communicating. I suppose there's a deeper symbolism with that in how the companies communicate these days, but that's the only one that I see. It's just about Muppets being Muppets with other Muppets. Even briefly - it's very special. :flirt: :batty: :coy:

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
Ok yes, I see that and it is magical. Wouldn't it be cool if we got some Dark Crystal characters like Ogra in the new muppet movie? The possibilities are endless and i'm willing to be surprised. Don't tell us everything Segel! I don't want to know the whole movie before I see it... :eek:

unclematt

Reaction score
Thank you for answering the question frogboy and you answered it very well.

Secondly, I did not know that Uncle Matt was supposed to be in MFS. To what capacity was he supposed to appear?

Super Scooter

Reaction score
A lot of Muppets From Space changed, such as the fact that originally, Gonzo was supposed to remain a whatever by the end of the film (he thought the aliens would be his family, but it turned out they weren't). But, that's in the past I guess. :concern:

unclematt

Reaction score
Yeah I knew that but I want to know how Uncle Matt was supposed to appear.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah I knew that but I want to know how Uncle Matt was supposed to appear.
From what I've heard, he was supposed to be observing the weird people waiting for Gonzo's alien bretheren. That would have been an amazing scene. I could even picture him writing a post card to Gobo about it in the scene.

But Sony, wanting the film as kiddified as possible, told them to scrap the best parts of the film.

Let's hope Disney doesn't do likewise.

Status
Not open for further replies.