Disney Enlists Segel & Stoller for new Muppets movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
I'm sorry, I really don't mean to stir this issue up anymore, but I have to say something. I do NOT get upset when Frank is brought up, I merely try to provide a realistic opinion about Frank's inclusion in the flim. I do not and have never disliked Frank Oz. I, in fact, find Frank Oz to be the most talented puppeteer who ever worked with the Muppets, or anyone in general. It's not because I don't like Frank Oz that I continue to state my opinions about this matter, it's because I care about Frank Oz and his characters.

I care that Miss Piggy and Fozzie felt lifeless in "Muppets From Space" because Frank had dubbed most of their scenes. I care that Kermit can't truly have a conversation with the love of his life or his best friend because they seem lifeless in comparison to a character that's actually being performed.

I respect Frank Oz more than, probably, any other Muppeteer. I respect him for his years of nearly thirty years of work with the Muppets, I respect him for giving us some of the most popular characters in most of the Muppet universes, I respect him for choosing to pursue a career as a director, and I respect him most of all for preparing Eric Jacobson as his understudy so that we, the fans, wouldn't have to sit through painfull sounding recasts of his characters. This shows that he does indeed care about the Muppets, that he does indeed want them to succeed, he just realized that his career as a director would be too time consuming for him to continue performing them.

I have never bashed Frank Oz. If it sounds like I ever have, you're reading too much into my posts, or you're just twisting my words to make it sound like I bash Frank every time he is brought up, when in reality I could go on for hours complimenting the years of work he provided the Muppets.

I do not apologize for this post, I feel it was very much needed. Jamie and I did not bash on Frank Oz, and I do not know where you got that notion. (I also don't know how you missed the string of posts where we commented on how awesome a cameo by Frank would be.)

If Frank wants to fully participate in the film I will be thrilled beyond belief. If he doesn't, I will still be thrilled beyond belief because this movie will still be incredible. I don't hope that Frank doesn't perform, I don't hope that he does perform, I just have an opinion on whether or not he will. If having an opinion is frowned upon, then for that, I am sorry. :smirk:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Out of proportion

Prickly? Every other post is this & that about how Frank can't, won't, don't do it. Several other people have made the same comments I have - that there's a we bit of awkward feelings on here toward Frank Oz. I think i'm just being observant.

But, I respect your opinions Frogboy. Frank Oz is simply an extension of Henson in my opinion. All those original performers birthed it along with Jim.

And, Hollywood loves money - we worship it... Frank Oz is probably jumping into a big vat of it at this very moment!
:halo: I wonder how much Oz got from the Disney sale or if he’s still an investor? If Muppeteers primarily wanted money they'd find another craft. Most of them have other jobs to fill in the gaps. Green is important and it is the grease of the industry, but that is not a major motivating factor of why the veterans return to Muppet films (however they probably are compensated quite nicely). I remember reading Spinney's book. He wrote about how lean things got and how he was losing faith that he could continue as the Bird.

:confused: I respect all opinions here, however I don't remember hearing and couldn't locate any *definite* "won'ts" and certainly no "can'ts" referring to Frank Oz' work with the Muppets. These instances you are citing are either exaggerations or from somewhere other than this thread. There has been little of this absolutism in the posts mentioned.

:attitude: I am always in awe of Frank's work and legacy. No awkwardness with me. If he came back with Goelz, Whitmire and the gang for this picture I would be thrilled. The only points I have made is that it isn't really necessary and seems unlikely. But I could be wrong. You are right, more than anyone Oz is the second in the Muppets/Henson legacy (with Goelz a close third). I used to think the Muppets would die on the vine without Frank until Eric Jacobson came along. Still, nobody is as quick as Oz. Period.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
:mad: Now can we finally get back on topic? Please. :embarrassed:

:wink: Disney Enlists Segel & Stoller for new Muppets movie...

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
Ok, ok - maybe I imagined the whole thing but, I clearly read that some folks were saying that Oz should not be involved...

There are no hard feelings on my part and I certainly wasn't calling anyone in particular out with my statements.

I think Oz is great and I understand his choices as a lot of us do. I'm sure he would be a better judge in the end if this project is something he wants to tackle. Also, you are absolutely right - the dubs will not do. The original formula is to have them actually interact with each other.

I think Oz was collecting a paycheck on Space. And Frank didn't get anything from the merger with Disney other than checks in the mail when anything aired (royalties) he was not a partner with Henson as I understand it. Could be wrong but, i've never read that.

BACK ON SUBJECT:

I'm talking to a friend who is the editor of a major publication and trying to get them to include not only a mention of the new MS DVD's but Segel's new film as well.

I'll let you know!

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Thanks uppity, no hard feelings.

Ooh, that is AWESOME! ! I'd love to hear more about whatever you could tell us!

unclematt

Reaction score
If he is involved he should commit to the whole project. That is my only thought.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
If he is involved he should commit to the whole project. That is my only thought.
If by chance Oz decides not to be directly involved I hope he still puts in some time creatively overseeing the film as a producer. He know his stuff. :embarrassed:

No hard feelings here either uppity. I was just bewildered about the idea anyone could be upset about Frank Oz in any way. It would be great to have him back 100% in the film. It would also be nice to get Jerry Nelson back too. I miss his Muppets. :sing:

Nonetheless it appears that probably Segel knows all of this as a fan. I am still so truly pleased with every bit of info that's coming out about this picture. :flirt:

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
No hard feelings here either, it just felt like people had a problem with Frank because I was seeing the same exact comments Uppity was seeing from people all over the board, not just in this thread any time Frank was brought up by anyone.
It doesn't have to be one of you guys, who are taking this way to personaly btw.
I really don't think anyone should be upset unless the said something against the man and now feel bad about it, know what I mean?
I just don't like when people talk for others in this case Frank, it's like a pet peeve of mine when people Say what Jim would and wouldn't do, seriously how do they know.:stick_out_tongue:

Anyway back on subject this movie is going to be amazing, and anyone who has a doubt anymore needs to go find Segel and directly talk to him :smile:
The man has Muppets on the Brain and in his Heart.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Ummm I don't know what Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles you're watching but the Modern day TMNT have never been closer to the real comic books that started it all.
And this is coming from a hardcore fan who has everything.

Agreed to that. Underdog and Alvin and the Chipmunks may have changed due to corporate pressure (though Alvin was good for what it was), but TMNT changed its direction through the will of its creator. And if anything, I think it's the vision that they were most likeyly to go with anyway, since... well... Get a load of The Next Mutation, the Movies and the new series. The very same movies that ran concurrent with the first cartoon series. Other than the cartoon, and maybe the Archie comics (which evolved closer to the other idea) they have been pretty much the same way they were portrayed in the movie.

In fact, I'd go as far to say that the new series is almost like (but not quite) a continunation of various movie themes.

And once again, what I've just said about Frank... it's his career, it's his career choices, we don't have a say, but we can wish him the best in whatever he path he wants to follow.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I don't foresee Oz being involved, but MAN! It'd be great to have him involved somewhere.

I'm still surprised he didn't cameo as the Wizard in Muppets Wizard of Oz. We'd have all FREAKED if that had happened...in a good way of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.