Disney Enlists Segel & Stoller for new Muppets movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Telly

Reaction score
My friend told me the general plot's going to be along the lines of Its a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie. The "villain" wants to tear down the theater and the Muppets have to put together a show to save it.
I'm all for it. I love that the theater is being brought back finally! I don't know if it was his idea of an April Fool's Day joke or not. He never said he was joking and he is kind of an internet nerd and knows where to find this kind of information.

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
Would you guys stop obsessing over the modernization. It should be enough that we get the words "incredibly old fashioned" out of Segal at this point:

He tells CHUD that their movie "is going to be incredibly old fashioned, with the familiar Muppet characters putting on a show to save an old theater (the theater from The Muppet Show?). The danger? An evil character wants to tear the place down to get at the oil underneath."

It sounds like from what we have heard so far that they want to nod back to the earlier days of the Muppets.

Is this thing about Pepe not being allowed in because he was created after-Henson? I think Henson's word on that would be - "Does he have star quality and if so - use him!"

Pepe has proven himself to be a star in my opinion.

unclematt

Reaction score
I agree that Pepe is a star and quite honestly Baretta may b the future of the Muppets but there is a point where a character is overused and wears out his welcome way too fast and I think that is exactly what is happening with Pepe.

Drtooth

Reaction score
He tells CHUD that their movie "is going to be incredibly old fashioned, with the familiar Muppet characters putting on a show to save an old theater (the theater from The Muppet Show?). The danger? An evil character wants to tear the place down to get at the oil underneath."

Here's a thought. what if said evil character is actually J.P. Grosse himself? not saying that it's definate. Clearly that roll is going to some human co-star. But what if.... what if they indeed decide to use him instead? I could really see Scooter being conflicted by his role as the nephew and his role as one of the gang.

unclematt

Reaction score
I think using J.P. is a great idea but I dont see it coming to fruition.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Here's a thought. what if said evil character is actually J.P. Grosse himself? not saying that it's definate. Clearly that roll is going to some human co-star. But what if.... what if they indeed decide to use him instead? I could really see Scooter being conflicted by his role as the nephew and his role as one of the gang.
I could see JP paired up with a human Texas oil tycoon like Tommy Lee Jones or a Larry Hagman type. Something happened to the paperwork protecting the historical theater or there is some sort of loophole like where the historical portion of the land is divided. I know, getting a little geeked here, but it makes enough sense in movielandworld! He he.

:confused: They could always change oil to something else but I like the oil plot. There could also be a sub-plot preventing Bunsen's compost and bubble-powered Beakermobile! Jim Henson himself had Kermit speak about the environment many times so I don't think this theme is out of place. I wouldn't think the story would be too preachy either. The oil appears to simply be a plot device with a wink at current events. :eek:

unclematt

Reaction score
I like the oil story line. I think it is very funny

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
You nailed it frogboy:

"The oil appears to simply be a plot device with a wink at current events."

It's all just plot devices we are hearing at this point. Wait until they really get in there and start drawing the characters - it changes, & evolves.

It's all so exciting; i'll let you know if I run into them in Hollywood - I've got my radars up...

dwayne1115

Reaction score
You nailed it frogboy:

"The oil appears to simply be a plot device with a wink at current events."

It's all just plot devices we are hearing at this point. Wait until they really get in there and start drawing the characters - it changes, & evolves.

It's all so exciting; i'll let you know if I run into them in Hollywood - I've got my radars up...
What are the odds you would see them in hollywood?

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
What are the odds you would see them in hollywood?
It could happen, i'm friends with a lot of the people at the studios and have had amazing opportunities to meet some of my favorite stars. Spike Jonze being the most recent - he as you know is directing the new "Where The Wild Things Are" with puppets created by Henson & Co. (My post on that experience is in "Fantasy Worlds" under "Where The Wild Things Are"

I just have to keep my eyes & ears open and hope I have some good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.