Disney Channel Preps for Muppet "Mini Movies"

CBPuppets

Reaction score
We have to keep this up my all means. I am so happy!:smile: :smile: :smile:

stephenjlizard

Reaction score
That, and remember Dave Goelz was recently talking (via Gonzo) about some "really cool project" that was in development that might be coming out. "Could be a year from now, could be two years...probably more like a year." I can't say I've been 100% happy with the utilization of the Muppets by Disney, but hopefully some things are in the works.

I haven't had the time yet to read thru all previous postings, but if it hasn't been said yet I'll say it here: remember, the Muppets were created and guided in a big way by sheer creative genius. Jim's vision and his business savvy were what brought the Muppets to the TV screen in the first place, and it was his genius that made the Muppets into something which we all, evidently, loved and still love. He wanted to sell them off to Disney because, I believe, he felt that he was getting on in years and had already done all the hard work to "make" the Muppets. Now he wanted to be able to do more playing and not have to sweat the business side as much. He wasn't worried about Disney taking the reigns because he would still be there. Then suddenly he wasn't there, and after a few years we now have the Muppets controlled by what is now a largely corporate machine that, while it is in the business of cranking out TV/Movie properties targeted at children, is in fact a machine. It isn't guided by creative genius, it's guided by money. That does a lot to change how the Muppets will look, feel, and be presented.

P

Philip Kippel

That, and remember Dave Goelz was recently talking (via Gonzo) about some "really cool project" that was in development that might be coming out. "Could be a year from now, could be two years...probably more like a year." I can't say I've been 100% happy with the utilization of the Muppets by Disney, but hopefully some things are in the works.

I haven't had the time yet to read thru all previous postings, but if it hasn't been said yet I'll say it here: remember, the Muppets were created and guided in a big way by sheer creative genius. Jim's vision and his business savvy were what brought the Muppets to the TV screen in the first place, and it was his genius that made the Muppets into something which we all, evidently, loved and still love. He wanted to sell them off to Disney because, I believe, he felt that he was getting on in years and had already done all the hard work to "make" the Muppets. Now he wanted to be able to do more playing and not have to sweat the business side as much. He wasn't worried about Disney taking the reigns because he would still be there. Then suddenly he wasn't there, and after a few years we now have the Muppets controlled by what is now a largely corporate machine that, while it is in the business of cranking out TV/Movie properties targeted at children, is in fact a machine. It isn't guided by creative genius, it's guided by money. That does a lot to change how the Muppets will look, feel, and be presented.
Why do you folks still feel obligated to put Disney down, no matter what?

Seriously, being this mean and critical is not what Jim Henson himself would've wanted.

Also, keep in mind that employees from Disney, Henson and Sesame Workshop DO read these boards...and they need us to support them in what they do, not bash them. After all, bashing them is what'll prevent them from doing any more projects in the future.

These mini-movies most likely will be a great start in getting the Muppets back into the spotlight...and to allow today's youth the opportunity to get to know them and grow up them. And it'd be downright wrong to deny them such an opportunity.

So, can we please try to be more supportive?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I didn't see much biting criticism in the referenced post. I doubt that Disney and Henson execs are taking this discussion personally. Reasonable comments (as I feel many of these posts have been) are the bread and butter of any interesting forum. :embarrassed:

That said, I do agree that there's sometimes a little too much Disney criticism from Muppet fans. Honestly, a lot is deserved, but I still remain hopeful (as cited by Dave Goelz) that the tide is probably changing for the better. :smile:

Now, patience on message boards...that's another matter. :wink:

stephenjlizard

Reaction score
In Disney's defense Phillip, Disney was also once a company guided by creative genius. As frogboy4 pointed out, my observation wasn't meant to be viewed as criticism, it's merely a fact. Personally I am a big Disney fan, as you'll hear me say many times on the podcast :smile:

RKUNKLER

Reaction score
The way i see it Disney has a plan for the Muppets and it works. They start by releasing The Muppet Show season boxed sets uncut as possable, then Muppets tonight, and muppet specials and movies so everyone has a chance to see it. Then there will be a new show and things. This is so the Muppets aren't remembered for things no one can see, fans can enjoy it, and the new shows that build off of the classic things for new Muppet Show and movies will make sense to new viewers. We will get more Muppets just give it time.