Disney buying Lucasfilm, Star Wars Episode VII coming in 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I wouldn't so much say that he lost his touch, in as far as certain passes of the original script of the original movie kinda hinted that he had everything wrong with the prequels in mind all along. The true problem is, he lost his ability to be collaborative. Why was Empire Strikes back the best of the Star Wars movies? He didn't direct them. In fact, in the original version of the first movie, C3-PO was as much a negative Jewish stereotype as Watto was. Just think, if there wasn't a collaborative effort, we wouldn't get the stuffy British neurotic Threepio we love so much.

But I completely agree otherwise. The franchise needs fresh blood and a new perspective. Preferably by those who were inspired by the first Star Wars films to want to work in the entertainment industry and know how those movies work. I'm also pretty happy that Disney inherited future Indiana Jones movies, even though I really doubt there should be another.

Skywalker82

Reaction score
I wouldn't so much say that he lost his touch, in as far as certain passes of the original script of the original movie kinda hinted that he had everything wrong with the prequels in mind all along. The true problem is, he lost his ability to be collaborative. Why was Empire Strikes back the best of the Star Wars movies? He didn't direct them. In fact, in the original version of the first movie, C3-PO was as much a negative Jewish stereotype as Watto was. Just think, if there wasn't a collaborative effort, we wouldn't get the stuffy British neurotic Threepio we love so much.

But I completely agree otherwise. The franchise needs fresh blood and a new perspective. Preferably by those who were inspired by the first Star Wars films to want to work in the entertainment industry and know how those movies work. I'm also pretty happy that Disney inherited future Indiana Jones movies, even though I really doubt there should be another.
Wouldn't it be nice to have an Indy movie where it ignores Kingdom?

Skywalker82

Reaction score
At the moment, I have no problem with this decision. Lucas failed miserably with the prequels. He was mutilating the original movies (and yes I mean mutilating!) with no end in sight. Someone else deserves the opportunity to return the franchise to the quality it deserves. Disney is a conglomerate but it does put out good products.
Do you think he ruined Indiana Jones too with that fourth movie?

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Indiana Jones isn't ruined. They tried to make that case for Temple of Doom, but they bounced back with Last Crusade. Maybe every-other movie is the weaker one.

This series was always meant as a callback to cheesy serials. On that point, Crystal Skull succeeds. I don't think Shia was bad at all. He was thrown into an impossible position much like a Scrappy Doo. I think it turned out okay.

The one thing I did take issue with was the overreaching digital effects. Spielberg went that direction because he felt it was prudent in case he wanted to reshape things later. Well, his earlier movies succeeded because they were artful and meticulously planned out. It was very evident that this film wasn't and it missed a lot of the aesthetic charm that practical effects and physical matte painting would bring to this type of film. People can subliminally spot computer effects and maybe they're good enough to absorb most films, but not Indy. These pictures are something special and that's the missing ingredient in Skull. Once a director like Spielberg starts using all the techniques that everybody else uses, it makes his films just like everything else.

Disney has stated that the new Star Wars will be a mix of practical effects and digital mastery. That's the way to go. Use both when needed. I have confidence that's the way they'll go with this too.

Skywalker82

Reaction score
Indiana Jones isn't ruined. They tried to make that case for Temple of Doom, but they bounced back with Last Crusade. Maybe every-other movie is the weaker one.

This series was always meant as a callback to cheesy serials. On that point, Crystal Skull succeeds. I don't think Shia was bad at all. He was thrown into an impossible position much like a Scrappy Doo. I think it turned out okay.

The one thing I did take issue with was the overreaching digital effects. Spielberg went that direction because he felt it was prudent in case he wanted to reshape things later. Well, his earlier movies succeeded because they were artful and meticulously planned out. It was very evident that this film wasn't and it missed a lot of the aesthetic charm that practical effects and physical matte painting would bring to this type of film. People can subliminally spot computer effects and maybe they're good enough to absorb most films, but not Indy. These pictures are something special and that's the missing ingredient in Skull. Once a director like Spielberg starts using all the techniques that everybody else uses, it makes his films just like everything else.

Disney has stated that the new Star Wars will be a mix of practical effects and digital mastery. That's the way to go. Use both when needed. I have confidence that's the way they'll go with this too.
And maybe by 2020 Disney and Fox can join together to bring us the unmutilated cuts of the OT on blu-ray, restored and digitally remastered (without anymore tinkering) and can make us all happy

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I hope so. I've frankly had enough of wannabe auteurs ruining good franchises.

Drtooth

Reaction score

I'm completely baffled by the amount of hate Crystal Skull gets. Of course, I could say that about a crapload of movies lately to the point where everyone forgets what a genuinely horrendous movie is, and they can't tell the difference between disappointing and awful. In fact, they treat disappointing worse than awful.

And yes, that's my view exactly. These are supposed to be throwback movies that reference goofy old films... each from every decade the movie takes place. The addition of aliens is no less goofy than the imaginary versions of Mayaincantecs and a religious box that makes Nazi's melt. And really? No love for the scene where Indie was stuck in a 1950's model house that was on a nuclear testing site? That was worth the price of admission alone for me.

I mean, it's hardly a great film, but for a film that's 20 years after the last film, it's not half as bad as everyone wants to make it out as. And Indie fans lucked the heck out compared to the Star Wars prequels. One alright movie vs one unwatchable, one decent, and one almost there.

I hope so. I've frankly had enough of wannabe auteurs ruining good franchises.
I'd agree only if it weren't for the fact that we're talking about George Lucas here. As long as we're not getting Space Movie from Selzter and Freberg, there's no where for Star Wars to go but up.

Skywalker82

Reaction score
Who else thought the Star Wars episode of Muppet Show was some kind of eerie prediction of the future of both the SW and Muppet franchsies?

And Disney did wonders with Muppets and Marvel with next maybe SW/Indy

Drtooth

Reaction score
To the surprise of no one, Marvel's getting the license to Star Wars comics.

Too bad Marvel doesn't also publish other Disney properties. It stinks we're one of the only countries without regular Scrooge and Donald comics.... especially since those characters are from America to begin with.

I don't follow the Star Wars comics, I don't know what changes, if any, to expect. Apparently, they'd have to pay Dark Horse to reprint anything. That doesn't sound too good.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Who else thought the Star Wars episode of Muppet Show was some kind of eerie prediction of the future of both the SW and Muppet franchsies?

Well, Jim Henson and George Lucas were really good friends, so it probably was a given that Star Wars characters would pop up on TMS and SST (similarly, I'm almost certain I saw Miss Piggy on the screen of the video gorilla from TWICE UPON A TIME, which Lucas executive produced).
And Disney did wonders with Muppets and Marvel with next maybe SW/Indy
Disney didn't do wonder with the Muppets until they saw the 2011 movie was successful enough that they had reasons to actually use the characters. Disney's also been wanting the SST Muppets ever since the original deal between Eisner and Henson, but luckily, SW doesn't plan on selling out.

Status
Not open for further replies.