Did Bear ever "sniff" you out?

teddyObear

Reaction score
When Bear did his regular "do you smell that?" did whatever he smelled that day actually reflect what you might actually smell like?

He said i smelled like syrup one day and asked me if i had eaten pancakes for breakfast that morning. I have homemade pancakes on Christmas morning and if i'm lucky once randomly in the year. It had been one of those random days when he sniffed me out.

RoloCorgi

Reaction score
The first BITBBH I ever saw was the potty episode, and I didn't know Bear did the "What's that smell?" thing at the start of every show. When he whipped that out at the beginning, I fully expected it to be followed by some kind of diaper comment and was thinking, "What? Wow, that's kind of blunt, isn't it?"

My husband did the same thing when he saw it--he kind of did a double take in those few beats before Bear made his guess and said, "OMG, did he just say, 'What's that smell?' Eww!"

But anyway, no, he's never been right, and I can't help but wonder if my son just thinks Bear has a terrible nose for all the times he's totally off-base. :smile:

Vic Romano

Reaction score
One day after a rare night of heavy partying, I woke the next morning relatively hung over and put on BITBBH and the "Sniff" segment came on, and I thought that if he said "You smell like whiskey and vicodin", I'd have to probably hang myself. Fortunately it was tooth paste.

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
^^^LOL!

He's never "sniffed me out" before, but on the rare occasion I get to catch the show, I love the "What's that smell?" part---it always makes me giggle, lol!

Really!

It does!

:big_grin:

Convincing John

Reaction score
Bear was either very polite or very sarcastic to me...

Well, as for me, I've never seen a full Bear episode, just snippets. I do know about the characters from you guys, Tough Pigs, etc.

Anyway, when Bear was relatively new, I had my first encounter with the furry fella. It was incredibly hot, sticky and humid outside, and I went to go mow the lawn. At the time, we had this clunky lawn mower that could've fit in perfectly at Grouchland. It smoked sometimes, the blades sometimes flew the grass skyward (it had no bag) and it had the permanent smell of old, dried gasoline.

After about an hour or so mowing with this :grouchy: worthy lawn mower out in the sticky heat and humidity, I came back in the house smelling heavily of motor smoke and gasoline. On my way to take a shower, I wanted to check the weather (we were having a heat wave).

Flipping through the channels, I paused at the Disney Channel when I saw this very large, Muppet-like bear on the screen, addressing me directly.

"Oh, hello there! It sure is good to see you today. Say...(sniff sniff) what's that smell?"

My face made the "Kermit look of disbelief" as Bear sniffed his way right up to the camera and pleasantly remarked "It's you! Boy, you sure smell good today! Do you always smell this good?"

What??? I remember doing a double take at the screen. What did this bear just say to me???

If Bear can really "sniff us out", then in my case he was either a) being extremely polite or b) being sarcastic.

Having never seen Bear before, his "sniffing" really caught me off guard!

Convincing John

BEAR

Reaction score
That is one of the funniest stories I've heard, CJ! Haha!!

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
LOL!

Well, he was either a) extremely polite, b) being sarcastic, orrrrrr, we cannot rule out perhaps, unbeknownst to us, c) he actually liked how you smelled! lol :stick_out_tongue:

Bein' a bear, maybe it takes a lot to offend his sensitive schnoz. :big_grin:

teddyObear

Reaction score
Janice & Mokey's Man said:
^^^LOL!

He's never "sniffed me out" before, but on the rare occasion I get to catch the show, I love the "What's that smell?" part---it always makes me giggle, lol!

Really!

It does!

:big_grin:
Haha! it always made me giggle to! if i caught it on tv i would always stop to see if it was at that spot.

Convincing John

Reaction score
Janice & Mokey's Man said:
orrrrrr, we cannot rule out perhaps, unbeknownst to us, c) he actually liked how you smelled! lol :stick_out_tongue:

Bein' a bear, maybe it takes a lot to offend his sensitive schnoz. :big_grin:
ROFL!

Convincing John