Did anyone like the muppet wizard of oz?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Sort of Bo... But why make sense when it's more profitable to make dollars?
Lisa-ism aside...

Have to say I liked The Muppets Wizard of Oz, the 2005 TV movie. Watched it when it first aired, and I have the extended DVD release.
It presented a much more complete and I guess faithful version of the story writen by L. Frank Baum.
Would've chosen someone other than Ashanti Douglass for the role of Dorothy Gale, but at least she was better than some other Disney possibilities.
The DVD is much better than the original TV airing due to its completeness... And there's a good Muppety feeling with the auditions at the beginning and the staged show at the end.
Yes, there was a something missing, and yet they pulled the seams from behind the curtain so that it was mostly Muppety enough for my liking.

Maybe next time we can get an original story... If these producer type people read anything of the fanfictions on this forum...
As Pepe said in Summer in the Theater... "Dis is de file for all the stories dose crazy peoples called fans write hokay?"
Some day I guess, they'll come here and find it... Thanks to us lovers of the Muppets, dreamers, and us crazy fans.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
When it was on TV, I liked it okay, but it wasn't anything I would write home about. I did buy the DVD because it had extra footage on it and, I'm gonna tell ya! The DVD is SO MUCH BETTER than the TV-chopped up version!

Yeah, I'm ready for a fresh new story, too. Bring on some MUPPETS!

P

Princeton

The Count said:
Would've chosen someone other than Ashanti Douglass for the role of Dorothy Gale, but at least she was better than some other Disney possibilities.
Thanks to you, Eduardo, I now know Ashanti's last name and I can arrange a meeting.:crazy:

Incidentally, did anyone see John Tucker Must Die? :flirt:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
No prob Brian. Actually, I'm kinda interested in that movie.

But much more so in getting some new Muppets... Or even some old Muppets, or some new old Muppets to bolster my video library and continue the list...

Brinatello

Reaction score
travellingpat said:
If you have Dark Side of the Moon press play.....NOW!
No, I think you got that confused with the 1939 MGM version. :smile:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Actually... Me thinks it's a reference to the 2005 Muppet version. See once Toto comes to life as played by Pepe, he and Dorothy head off to where the house landed, entering Munchkinville.
Just before they go, Pepe as Toto says the line: "If you have the Dark Side of the Moon... Press Play now.
Hope this helps.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Heh, I didn't know the Muppet Wizard of Oz referenced the now famous connection between the MGM Wizard of Oz and Pink Floyd's album.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
They did... And so many other vonderful references, for which you need the DVD.
There's another funny part, but you need to listen for it. When the group's heading off for the Wicked Witch of the West's mountain lair... You hear Pepe talking in the background about all the 80's band that can be connected by means of this story.
Also, as far as references go... The most memorable one is quoted by Kermit when meeting the Wizard in his Gas Face form.

Jivepuppet

Reaction score
When I saw it on ABC I though, OK, I see what they were trying to do. I was diappointed, but it was OK.
Then I watched the DVD. I like it now. It's still my least favorite Muppet film, but it's good. It had some of that old Muppet magic, and some new twists. Longer was better for this film.
I was just talking about this with some friends tonight, too!