Diamond Select Toys to Produce new Muppet figures and mini mates!

beaker

Reaction score
Hello all! I haven't checked this thread in quite some time, but was thrilled to see Diamond is finding a way to release series 4. Personally I wish the Electric Mayhem figures were sold as a 4 pack, and these definitely need to be at Disney Parks and Disney stores...I also have longer understood the nature of how tough a sell Muppet merch in the modern era is(as I argued even in the late 90s, the "Muppets" are an underground nostalgic brand that doesnt sell well even tho most people in America have a "favorite Muppet")

While I dearly hope to one day have a 4" Zoot/Dr Teeth from the Diamond line, even if its a slow crawl starting with Swedish Chef this Christmas with a bunch of vegetables Im all for it!

Also Im super stoked series 1 of the Muppet Babies action figures are debuting next month at Target(No offense to Diamond, but maybe a super mainstream Walmart/Target distributor should take over the action figure license of the Muppets)

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
(as I argued even in the late 90s, the "Muppets" are an underground nostalgic brand that doesnt sell well even tho most people in America have a "favorite Muppet")
Such a good point; I will never be able to gauge the popularity of the Muppets or how many people like them. It's such an integrated part of the culture, yet (as you said) it's still underground.

I would just argue if someone doesn't like the Muppets, they have no soul.

beaker

Reaction score
Such a good point; I will never be able to gauge the popularity of the Muppets or how many people like them. It's such an integrated part of the culture, yet (as you said) it's still underground.

I would just argue if someone doesn't like the Muppets, they have no soul.
Agreed. While I was sadly at the last minute not able to attend the Hollywood Bowl Muppet concert, I was able to convince friends not really into the Muppets to see the New York Tribute to Jim Henson Muppet show in 2012 and the recent Los Angeles Jim Henson Exhibit museum and they absolutely loved it. There's a strong wonderful magic about Henson's works that should touch everyone. Seeing those 50s-70s older clips is so extrordinary.

But sadly, as Ive been arguing, rightfully so for 20 years on here, sadly the "Muppet" brand is a sort of existential nebula of its own. The 2011 movie seems to be the only Muppet thing that seemed to resonate with the general public and critics, but that didnt exactly translate to new merchandise. And for whatever reason Disney ABC cancelled the 2015 Muppet "Office" show rather quickly(a show I personally loved) Im glad Muppet Babies 2.0 is resonating with some sector young kids out there as it seems to be our only hope

MWoO

Reaction score
The diamond Select line is on life support, but it ain't dead yet. Diamond just posted on their facebook that the Swedish Chef should be hitting comic shops this Wednesday. So anyone waiting to buy it in person, is comic book shops, is Chef figure, is time!

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
That Animal bust is also up for preorder on Big Bad Toy Store, so they haven't given up on the license.

muppetperson

Reaction score
Anybody got the Swedish Chef? I haven't had any notification
from BBTS yet. I sent an email, but got a message that they
are very busy and will get back to me soon.

MWoO

Reaction score
Anybody got the Swedish Chef? I haven't had any notification
from BBTS yet. I sent an email, but got a message that they
are very busy and will get back to me soon.
I've ordered from them a lot and then tend to be a little slow, but they also have their Chef figure priced less than any other place I've seen. I am hoping he comes soon though.

I've started sculpting some smaller singing food to be in scale with the DST Chef. Already finished a tiny cabbage, will be doing potatoes, eggplant, scallions, carrots, peppers, melon, bread, maybe a banana, etc. hopefully Chef will be here by the time I am done.

MWoO

Reaction score
Someone posted a review of the new Chef figure. Shows some detailed shots.

It looks ok, but recently i broke out my Santa Chef figure and this pales in comparison to the detail of the old Palisades one. I know its not totally fair to compare the two lines, and DST has some figures I like better, but man there is a huge difference between the two chefs. Still like it though.

Rtec1

Reaction score
Hmmmmmm, not too impressed, hopefully better in hand. Looking like my least favourite of all the Muppets released so far, and the paint run on to the moustache is awful. Let’s hope it sells enough so we can complete the band!!

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
Someone posted a review of the new Chef figure. Shows some detailed shots.

It looks ok, but recently i broke out my Santa Chef figure and this pales in comparison to the detail of the old Palisades one. I know its not totally fair to compare the two lines, and DST has some figures I like better, but man there is a huge difference between the two chefs. Still like it though.
My sentiments exactly; at least someone is still making Muppet figures, and it's kind of an unfair comparison since pretty much everything pales compared to Palisades. The quality at that price point was insane; Ken says a single figure would easily cost $20 today.

The new case looks nice! Kinda a statement of this line becoming collector-exclusive, though I honestly would've rather had Chef come with Lew Zealand or something than all those accessories.