Diamond Select Toys to Produce new Muppet figures and mini mates!

floydnjanicefan

Reaction score
They ended up making Sam and Rowlf, so the only kind of bad thing about the Palisades line is the lack of Sal to go with Johnny. I think the characters were spaced out nicely. Everyone wants it all at once. That's not how a line is sustained. :stick_out_tongue:
Is there a reason everyone bemoans the lack of Sal but nobody cares about Mulch? I was looking at my collection the other day and as great as the Phil van Neuter sculpt was, I am like, Why are you here? Haha. I would have definitely preferred a Sal or Seymour or Spamela or just about anyone else besides Phil, but at least a Mulch would have made him feel more complete.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Is there a reason everyone bemoans the lack of Sal but nobody cares about Mulch? I was looking at my collection the other day and as great as the Phil van Neuter sculpt was, I am like, Why are you here? Haha. I would have definitely preferred a Sal or Seymour or Spamela or just about anyone else besides Phil, but at least a Mulch would have made him feel more complete.
Plus, Mulch is a classic character as far back as when Debbie Harry did the Muppet Show.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well, at the time, Mulch had pretty much stopped appearing in new productions, while Van Neuter was still around as a solo character (though his last appearance came before the figure did), while Johnny Fiama and Sal were still actively appearing in new productions, neither splitting up. Though for some reason, during the time of Muppets Tonight, I never really thought of them as a duo (despite Sal being Johnny's body guard).

As I understand it, Gobo was an experiment. There were no rights to future figures and most stores don't like carrying merchandise without a somewhat current project to promote.
I also remember Ken saying at one point (when asked about how Fraggle Rock didn't get enough retail support while The Pink Panther did) that Henson charged a bit too much for the license. I wonder if they charged more or less than they did for the Muppets (but the Muppets were still fairly active at the time).

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
No, but fwiw Mulch was slated for a wave 12 release. :wink:

rtgentry

Reaction score
Thanks. They were gonna do a pack of rats, I think. Booster packs were also discussed. Oh, how I missed those days.

Most of my Palisades contributions consisted of:
  • Finding the most iconic look of the characters.
  • Sifting through, sorting and collecting the best reference materials.
  • Devising and drawing what these fellas looked like from head to toe in turnarounds, many of whom have never been seen from the waist down.
  • Making photographic quality corrections on countless turnaround images of the figures in progress and composing notes.
  • Factoring in licensing notes I'd get from the brass.
  • Brainstorming ideas and concepts.
  • And some light graphic design and accessories work.
(In other words, an ad hoc illustrator/art director hired to address a particular challenge when needed.)

BTW, here's my first pic of the old codgers. (BTW, while my Photoshop skills can, at times, be impressive; my photography skills are terrible.)

rtgentry

Reaction score
I just went to ToysrUS and got the figures. But Statler and Waldorf did not come with the balcony. why not??

Thanks. They were gonna do a pack of rats, I think. Booster packs were also discussed. Oh, how I missed those days.

Most of my Palisades contributions consisted of:
  • Finding the most iconic look of the characters.
  • Sifting through, sorting and collecting the best reference materials.
  • Devising and drawing what these fellas looked like from head to toe in turnarounds, many of whom have never been seen from the waist down.
  • Making photographic quality corrections on countless turnaround images of the figures in progress and composing notes.
  • Factoring in licensing notes I'd get from the brass.
  • Brainstorming ideas and concepts.
  • And some light graphic design and accessories work.
(In other words, an ad hoc illustrator/art director hired to address a particular challenge when needed.)

BTW, here's my first pic of the old codgers. (BTW, while my Photoshop skills can, at times, be impressive; my photography skills are terrible.)