Diamond Select Toys to Produce new Muppet figures and mini mates!

muppetperson

Reaction score
That is a very, very interesting list of heights! It gets much more interesting when you watch Muppets Most Wanted and learn that Tina Fey and Ricky Gervais are three feet tall and that Ty Burrell is four feet tall.
Nuh, the Muppets are just standing on crates to even the eye line. Other wise they would be talking to their knees.:laugh:

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Wow Jamie that's cool you did work on my two favorite figures, did you work on any other figures released or unreleased?

Hmm...everybody was all over the place with Palisades. What I mean is that many, many creative people work on everything. They'd always go with the best idea, wherever it came from. No ego. That's rare. Wonderful experience. Keep in mind that no one product is made by one person. I'd list all the credits if I could, but I only remember my contributions. Even the parts I worked on, other people did too and vice versa. The hardest working person on these was Ken. That man never sleeps. I think he's a cylon! Here's what I can remember. I don't have many of the files anymore, but have posted some in this thread. I’ll bold the ones that I worked with the most.

Palisades contributions (large & small)

Scooter (series 3): Tweak (nudged the lenses closer to together to make him less frog-eyed)

Ghost Sam Arrow: Photoshop (composed the puppet photo on the box)

Gonzo (series 5): Sculptural Direction (completely redesigned head & face. Note: this was reflected in all Gonzo figs afterward)

Polly Lobster: Sculptural Direction & Illustration (illustrated turnarounds and sculptural alterations)

Johnny Fiama: Sculptural Direction & Graphic Design (redesigned head & face, sculptural alterations , designed framed photos & albums)

Usher Scooter: Sculptural Direction, Illustration & Graphic Design (illustrated head to toe turnarounds, sculptural alterations & Photoshopped photo on the box)

Sam: Sculptural Direction (sculptural design & alterations, particularly the head & face)

Phil Van Neuter: Sculptural Direction & Illustration (illustrated head to toe turnarounds & sculptural alterations)

Marvin Suggs: Sculptural Direction & Illustration (illustrated head to toe turnarounds & sculptural alterations)

Tux Fozzie: Sculptural Direction (sculptural designs & alterations, particularly the head and face. Note: we weren’t quite pleased with the factory results.)

Pops: Sculptural Direction & Illustration (illustrated head to toe turnarounds & sculptural alterations)

Lips: Sculptural Direction & Illustration (illustrated head to toe turnarounds & sculptural alterations)

Animal Exlusives: Sculptural Tweaks (leg joint revision)

Sweetums: Sculptural Direction (sculptural turnaround designs & alterations)

Rowlf: Sculptural Direction (sculptural designs & alterations, particularly the head and face. Note: we weren’t quite pleased with the factory results.)

Jim Henson Figure: Sculptural Direction (sculptural turnaround designs & alterations)

Uncle Deadly: Sculptural Direction & Illustration (illustrated head to toe turnarounds & sculptural alterations/turnarounds)

Adventure Kermit: Graphic Design (Photoshopped picture on box)

Tux Gonzo & Bernice: : Sculptural Direction & Graphic Design (illustrated sculptural alterations/turnarounds, album & Photoshopped picture on box)

Super Beaker: Sculptural Direction (completely redesigned head & face)

Backstage Set: Some Art Direction, Design & Illustration (helped plot out and truncate and translate the design)

Unmade Baby Kermit: Illustration (head to toe illustrated turnarounds)

Unmade Baby Piggy: Illustration (head to toe illustrated turnarounds)

Unmade Tux Statler & Waldorf: Illustration/Photoshop (Photoshopped promotional images of the figures that were never sculpted)

Unmade Tutu Pepe: Sculptural Direction (complete head revision, sculptural turnaround designs & alterations)

Unmade Bellhop Rat(s): Illustration (head to toe illustrated turnarounds)

I also helped with some of the minis etc. And I contributed much heavy research on almost every character etc.

That's all I can figure. I also worked on Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow Sword of Hessian and Nick's Ren & Stimpy line. About three years of fun, hard work. :wink:

Last edited:

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I love hearing about all your contributions. I don't think I knew about the Bellhop rats. Were they supposed to come with Pops or were they to be stand-alone figures? Can you share a picture?
Thanks. They were gonna do a pack of rats, I think. Booster packs were also discussed. Oh, how I missed those days.

Most of my Palisades contributions consisted of:
  • Finding the most iconic look of the characters.
  • Sifting through, sorting and collecting the best reference materials.
  • Devising and drawing what these fellas looked like from head to toe in turnarounds, many of whom have never been seen from the waist down.
  • Making photographic quality corrections on countless turnaround images of the figures in progress and composing notes.
  • Factoring in licensing notes I'd get from the brass.
  • Brainstorming ideas and concepts.
  • And some light graphic design and accessories work.
(In other words, an ad hoc illustrator/art director hired to address a particular challenge when needed.)

BTW, here's my first pic of the old codgers. (BTW, while my Photoshop skills can, at times, be impressive; my photography skills are terrible.)

Last edited:

muppetperson

Reaction score
Hmm...everybody was all over the place with Palisades. What I mean is that many, many creative people work on everything. They'd always go with the best idea, wherever it came from. No ego. That's rare. Wonderful experience. Keep in mind that no one product is made by one person. I'd list all the credits if I could, but I only remember my contributions. Even the parts I worked on, other people did too and vice versa. The hardest working person on these was Ken. That man never sleeps. I think he's a cylon! Here's what I can remember. I don't have many of the files anymore, but have posted some in this thread. I’ll bold the ones that I worked with the most.

Palisades contributions (large & small)

Scooter (series 3): Tweak (nudged the lenses closer to together to make him less frog-eyed)

Ghost Sam Arrow: Photoshop (composed the puppet photo on the box)

Gonzo (series 5): Sculptural Direction (completely redesigned head & face. Note: this was reflected in all Gonzo figs afterward)

Polly Lobster: Sculptural Direction & Illustration (illustrated turnarounds and sculptural alterations)

Johnny Fiama: Sculptural Direction & Graphic Design (redesigned head & face, sculptural alterations , designed framed photos & albums)

Usher Scooter: Sculptural Direction, Illustration & Graphic Design (illustrated head to toe turnarounds, sculptural alterations & Photoshopped photo on the box)

Sam: Sculptural Direction (sculptural design & alterations, particularly the head & face)

Phil Van Neuter: Sculptural Direction & Illustration (illustrated head to toe turnarounds & sculptural alterations)

Marvin Suggs: Sculptural Direction & Illustration (illustrated head to toe turnarounds & sculptural alterations)

Tux Fozzie: Sculptural Direction (sculptural designs & alterations, particularly the head and face. Note: we weren’t quite pleased with the factory results.)

Pops: Sculptural Direction & Illustration (illustrated head to toe turnarounds & sculptural alterations)

Lips: Sculptural Direction & Illustration (illustrated head to toe turnarounds & sculptural alterations)

Animal Exlusives: Sculptural Tweaks (leg joint revision)

Sweetums: Sculptural Direction (sculptural turnaround designs & alterations)

Rowlf: Sculptural Direction (sculptural designs & alterations, particularly the head and face. Note: we weren’t quite pleased with the factory results.)

Jim Henson Figure: Sculptural Direction (sculptural turnaround designs & alterations)

Uncle Deadly: Sculptural Direction & Illustration (illustrated head to toe turnarounds & sculptural alterations/turnarounds)

Adventure Kermit: Graphic Design (Photoshopped picture on box)

Tux Gonzo & Bernice: : Sculptural Direction & Graphic Design (illustrated sculptural alterations/turnarounds, album & Photoshopped picture on box)

Super Beaker: Sculptural Direction (completely redesigned head & face)

Backstage Set: Some Art Direction, Design & Illustration (helped plot out and truncate and translate the design)

Unmade Baby Kermit: Illustration (head to toe illustrated turnarounds)

Unmade Baby Piggy: Illustration (head to toe illustrated turnarounds)

Unmade Tux Statler & Waldorf: Illustration/Photoshop (Photoshopped promotional images of the figures that were never sculpted)

Unmade Tutu Pepe: Sculptural Direction (complete head revision, sculptural turnaround designs & alterations)

Unmade Bellhop Rat(s): Illustration (head to toe illustrated turnarounds)

I also helped with some of the minis etc. And I contributed much heavy research on almost every character etc.

That's all I can figure. I also worked on Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow Sword of Hessian and Nick's Ren & Stimpy line. About three years of fun, hard work. :wink:
Did you work on the Sesame Street line, too? and wasn't there going to be Fraggle Rock as well? I think I can remember seeing a Gobo prototype.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Did you work on the Sesame Street line, too? and wasn't there going to be Fraggle Rock as well? I think I can remember seeing a Gobo prototype.
I would have, but my plate was full at the time. I've done a lot of licensed work since too. Fun stuff. I'm now working on a non-Muppet or Henson related licensed piece. I'll be able to say more if/when it comes to fruition. :wink:

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I love hearing about all your contributions. I don't think I knew about the Bellhop rats. Were they supposed to come with Pops or were they to be stand-alone figures? Can you share a picture?
Forgot to answer your question. I have the file somewhere. I don't think it ever went to pitch phase before it was put on hold. I'd have to look through old hard drives. All of this was nearly 12 years ago. I can't believe there's so much I remember, but memory and attention to detail is why they hired me. :stick_out_tongue:

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
Didn't Ken Lily said on instagram you did box art for The Oscar Corner set for SST line.

antonydavanzo

Reaction score
Hey all
So got the 2nd series yesterday from FP UK.I was pretty worries about getting these as i thought that series 1 was pretty flawed. The sculpts were great but the paint apps were so bad it looked like a child did it.
THANK GOD series 2 put these issues to bed! My paint apps are spot on and the sculpts are perfect. I am so glad I stuck it out as this line is gonna rock and IMO I am starting to love a little more than my Palisades.
Here is a pic of the collection...PS does anyone think Fonzie looks a tad short?
Thanks
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9HQaTgSjqJKS1pKUlJ3S1oweXc/view?usp=sharing