Dark Crystal and Labyrinth on Blu-ray

Will you be buying the Dark Crystal and/or Labyrinth on Blu-Ray?

• Yes, I can’t wait to see what the films look like in HD

Votes: 22 62.9%
  • Yes, later when I get a Blu-ray player

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • No, the DVD’s I already have are good enough

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • No, I’m not interested in these films

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Kermieuk

Reaction score
Just watching Labyrinth on Blu-Ray Now. Its amazing how many times I have seen this film, but until now I had never noticed that as the doors to the Goblin Castle are pushed open, there are two pints of milk left on the doorstep! Nice touch, cant believe I have never noticed this before.

Watched Dark Crystal Blu-Ray this morning now Labyrinth, they look great in HD, the colours and textures in the Skeksis costumes are amazing.

Chris

Laszlo

Reaction score
I think Blu-Ray quality is good but almost too good. All these new televisions and things that are supposed to "improve" the quality of films are just making them all look b-rated.
:sympathy:
I do not agree. Blu-Ray allows you to see the movies in the original quality they were shot.
In fact it makes you appreciate the movies even more. Only now we can see all the enormous detail work in in films like Dark Crystal or Labyrinth.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Some companies have had their films digitally cleaned too much for the sake of Blu-ray, but the Dark Crystal and Labyrinth are not among those. They appear as they did in the theaters. :smile:

cabbageheat

Reaction score
Finally picked up the Blu Ray version of TDC. It was 5 bucks, and couldn't pass it up.

However, its so called "new" offerings for this release were absurd. I think I'm done with TDC as far as the film goes, until some substantial new material is released. I find it increasingly irritating that Frank Oz hasn't offered a single glimpse into this film, after what...4 releases of this film?

No deleted scenes? Blah, blah, we all know what is missing. Tons of stuff, the question is..when will we get it? How many more formats will go down the tubes as we wait for some additional content? If Frank Oz would kindly come out of the vault, and offer some refreshing insight, that would be great. A commentary? A new interview? A retrospective? Deleted scenes please?

Until we get something that has some substance to it, and isn't 5 to 10 seconds of rough home video hailed as "new" material found, I think I'm done. No, I know I'm done. This is the one film that has had its material on a slow drip out of the tap for decades. And hey...maybe there is nothing left. Maybe what has been said about this movie has been said. I could be completely wrong.

However, I wish those deleted scenes and if anything....anything...Frank Oz would say something, some kind of interview, that would be fantastic. Nobody is getting any younger here. Oh well. I'm done with this rant.

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
I don't know what DVD you picked up, but the one I have has the deleted scenes and work print stuff...

Something from Frank Oz, or any of the other muppeteers who participated in the film's creation (Steve Whitmire, Dave Goelz, Jerry Nelson) would be nice.

cabbageheat

Reaction score
I picked up a BluRay version, this had a few deleted scenes, but there are a few more that have never been released, but just eluded to.

It is one of the things I was complaining about. There seems to be content out there, that simply never finds its way onto any format, and again, Frank Oz zero involvement just seems....for the lack of a better word...lame. And its been the same stuff, release, after release, besides a few crude games thrown on to the blueray release. Again...lame.

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
Really? I love TDC, and I had no idea there were additional deleted scenes. What sort of things have they mentioned?

Gah. I know what you mean. I don't get the studio politics that restrict certain things from being released. I can understand if the quality is just abysmal, to the point of being unwatchable, but if there's perfectly good footage, why hide it?

Laszlo

Reaction score
Yes, there are few more scenes such as:

- Jen swimming at the beginning
- Jen being called by a Mystic

Plus a few more.
I dont know why they hide this cool stuff. There is a LOT more in the Henson archives.

BoomerangFish

Reaction score
I've got Labyrinth on Bluray and it looks pretty good. Not the best transfer but not awful either. I haven't seen Dark Crystal anywhere, otherwise I'd have likely bought that one. I'd rather have the first 3 Muppet films on bluray! :halo:

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
Hey guys. I bought The Dark Crystal 20th Anniversary edition (or whichever one came in the brown box with the film cell). It was pretty pricey when I got it. Now I found out about the 25th Anniversary edition, which apparently has new behind the scenes stuff. Is it worth getting the DVD again for the new special features?