Dad hears a "racial slur" on Fraggle Rock

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
funny, I was watching that episode today. I can't watch that scene anymore without thinking of this thing. The syllabic emphasis isn't even right for it to sound like that.

kessto

Reaction score
I saw this story yesterday, I find the man so ignorant, its like he knows nothing of Jim Henson and his company and what they stand for. Its evident that Steve Whitmire is saying "Gee Gobo" but maybe through the excitement and character (voice and personality) it may sound different. As a puppeteer I can see how the emphasis can be manipulated by the character, but he is definetly not say Jigaboo. Gosh this man is ignorant.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
funny, I was watching that episode today. I can't watch that scene anymore without thinking of this thing. The syllabic emphasis isn't even right for it to sound like that.
I decided to rewatch it after I heard the story and I couldn't help but crack up about how stupid this guy is.

Teheheman

Reaction score
I actually had to look up what that word meant, and I watched the news clip that came with it, when they showed it on TV he said "Gee, Gobo" but for some reason, I don't know if they sped it up for the SCLC leader but it DID sound like Jigaboo. That being said, it's just a guy mishearing something, and having that in his head as he kept listening to it. It's happened before, I've done that with songs. Now, as far as them editing it out and the dad saying "If he didn't say it then why edit it out?" Because they don't want you to sue, and they don't want 90 billion other people thinking they heard it and having a bunch of either "tramatizing" or other things that can be put into lawsuits. Both sides are at fault here, one for mishearing it, the other for knee jerk reaction to them mishearing it.

Daniel

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Now, as far as them editing it out and the dad saying "If he didn't say it then why edit it out?" Because they don't want you to sue,
Exactly, settlements aren't automatically indications of guilt.

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, was it in the FR cartoon or not. If it was in FR and they edit the sound, puppet mouths will still "say" Gobo, that could look a tad strange.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm gonna go with Gonzo's Hobbit's answer...

basically, because someone put it out there, you can't NOT hear it. And let's face it, it's a very obscure slur. Does anyone remember the Marvel Comics blunder in the late 90's where somehow someone misspelled "Killer" and it became a hard core slur? That's something to worry about... this... now the only reason this guy's right is because he pointed it out enough times for you not to think otherwise.

Still, this is the first time I ever even heard that one.

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, was it in the FR cartoon or not. If it was in FR and they edit the sound, puppet mouths will still "say" Gobo, that could look a tad strange.
YEa, but they did that with the Challenge Episode. When Doc is looking through the video games. The one he and Sprocket play is Zombie Attack. I'm guessing that's now a copyright name because they took out all the times Doc says attack. So he still mouths it but you can't hear it. So I'm guessing they aren't too worried about that aspect of it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
YEa, but they did that with the Challenge Episode. When Doc is looking through the video games. The one he and Sprocket play is Zombie Attack. I'm guessing that's now a copyright name because they took out all the times Doc says attack. So he still mouths it but you can't hear it. So I'm guessing they aren't too worried about that aspect of it.
I think that's some sort of completely idiotic attempt of censoring violence somehow. There's NO reason for them to censor the word attack no matter how they rationalize it.