Dad hears a "racial slur" on Fraggle Rock

Bannanasketch

Reaction score
Well, I seriously don't believe that Rush was trying to be racist. It's just the way the media automatically tries to portray him.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Even if he was, people would shake it off as Rush being Rush. That's the other difference. He never needs to apologize or give in for anything... not even when he was saying nasty things about the Haitian Earthquake. If Hallmark or Hub displayed that kind of "I don't care" attitude, they wouldn't have to recall or censor anything.

Mupp

Reaction score
I'm late here, but I have to say that I am very disappointed that the Hub is going to edit the sentence.

All because of one goon.

At least the episode is still in its original form on a DVD set.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
:crazy::confused: - wow, just wow... I learned a new vocabulary word today...
never heard that before... I would hope The Hub wouldn't have to edit every single episode of Fraggle Rock where Wembley said "Gee, Gobo" really fast- because he kinda uses that phrase a lot. And for a show over 25 years old too...I know the show did not actually have that word in there and I'm sure didn't even consider that someone would misconstrue "Gee, Gobo" for a racial slur... Sounds kinda :fishy: to me-I throw it away and it comes back to me!
Oh well- as Shakespeare said, much ado about nothing.:sigh:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
:crazy::confused: - wow, just wow... I learned a new vocabulary word today...
The sad thing is the first time I've ever heard that slur word was from that man bringing it up without justification. The word is outdated and awful and all he's doing is bringing it back into the world's vocabulary (again without justification).

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's just what I said. I never heard it before until this guy pointed it out. I'm pretty sure even hardcore racists don't know about that one.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
One thing to keep in perspective is that it was an older black gentleman- for many older black people, they can still remember the discrimination they faced growing up in the '60s or earlier and those stinging words are probably a lot closer on their minds than it is to someone who has not experienced this... nonetheless, I think the guy should still have realized that no racial remarks whatsoever were intended (since he obviously misheard the dialogue) and let the matter drop.

Teheheman

Reaction score
I'm just glad that I'm not the only one that didn't know what the heck that meant til this happened.

Daniel

Drtooth

Reaction score
Ononetheless, I think the guy should still have realized that no racial remarks whatsoever were intended (since he obviously misheard the dialogue) and let the matter drop.
What bugs me is the guy who saw malicious intent in this misheard line whined about it, reported it to his minister, got the attention of Hub and Henson, causing them to censor it, and then complained that their censoring it because he pointed it out meant that they were in the wrong in the first place. I've heard a LOT of things I misheard that sound... well... I can't post any here except one... I have a Wacky World of Tex Avery DVD with a Maurice and Mooch cartoon that has the sound cut out at a strange moment... the line is Mooch calling out "Hey Junior!" and it cuts out so it sounds like "Hey Jew!!!" That makes me snicker inappropriately, not get outraged over nothing.