Could Between the Lions ever come back?

salemfan

Reaction score
I think "Between the Lions" was more structured like "The Electric Company" than "Sesame Street". Like "The Electric Company", it focused more on phonics and taught children to read, while "Sesame Street" was more teaching the basics, such as the alphabet, shape recognition, and counting to twenty, among many topics. Although I did learn on Muppet Wiki that "Sesame Street" did have some phonics segments in the 1990s, such as words starting with "SH", "CH", etc., and even a Waiter Grover segment involving "ch" words. But those phonics segments were not used as extensively as on "The Electric Company".
That I agree with. However, my original line was NOT referring to the educational curriculum of the show. I was referring to the fact that Between the Lions had a main story interrupted by various short segments.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I imagine Between the Lions could be rebooted with animation instead of puppets (Witness Muppet Babies). There were a few animated segments with the lions besides their puppet images.In later seasons we've seen Bert and aErnie in animated form.
But puppets are part of the reason the show made such an impact in the first place. Could you imagine a reboot of the Puzzle Place or Wimzie's House without puppets?
There is something special about a puppet trying to reach out to you through the camera an animated image can't quite capture.

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
"Wimzie's House", while it did air on PBS, it was produced in Canada amd initially aired on CBC.

salemfan

Reaction score
If Between the Lions were ever rebooted, because Slim Jims are a meat snack that the consumer does not have to cook before eating (Slim Jims are not really raw meat, the manufacturer just did the cooking for the consumers, whereas other meat sold in the supermarket has not at all been cooked), I'd want to see the lion family in that show eat Slim Jims. What does anybody think of that idea?

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
D'Snowth, where u at bro

Edit: Also, if you're really serious, puppets eating Slim Jims on an educational kids show? No, lol.

Last edited:

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Well, if a blue monster can eat cookies, so can lions. If not Slim Jims, there's also salami, pepperoni, and jerky. None of them are cooked either.

Bliffenstimmers

Reaction score
What makes you say that puppets should not eat Slim Jims on an educational kids show?
Mainly to avoid product placement. A conflict of interest when you're doing a show for commercial-free public TV. Sesame Street had been criticized for the same reason when they had partnered with McDonalds, Discovery Zone, Spaghettios, etc. for funding, but they made it clear in their sponsorship plugs that they were not being used to advertise any product, only that the brand is in support of Sesame Street.

I do like the idea of lions eating processed, or even well cooked meat, as opposed to eating living creatures as their carnivorous instincts tell them to. Kind of the same reason Chicago the lion from Sesame Street was such a fascinating character; he didn't eat any sort of meat at all, only vegetables! It's fun seeing wild animals eat things that us civilized human beings eat.