Conan O'Brien in Toronto

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Seriously--it wasn't any different in kind from any other Triumph segment. I thought it was all in good fun. I certainly wouldn't be offended if he did a segment like this in Iowa City!

Fozzie

Reaction score
AndyWan Kenobi said:
Seriously--it wasn't any different in kind from any other Triumph segment. I thought it was all in good fun. I certainly wouldn't be offended if he did a segment like this in Iowa City!
Same here.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Yeah, I really don't get what all the fuss is about - and I live here!

electricmayhem

Reaction score
I loved it when we was working at the border dressed as a Mountie. That was hilarious! :excited:

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
Yeah, I really don't get what all the fuss is about - and I live here!
Well, I guess I can kind of see what the fuss is about. It not exactly like making fun of Star Wars "geeks" (a group I definitely identify with). It's a little more touchy, because this is a group that is sensitive about maintaining their own identity and cultural heritage. At the same time, it's just a joke! I always like it when people have a good sense of humor about themselves and don't take themselves too seriously--that one older man who cracked up at everything Triumph said (even after the translator showed up) was okay by me.

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
electricmayhem said:
I loved it when we was working at the border dressed as a Mountie. That was hilarious! :excited:
Yeah, I really liked that too! Especially when he was trying to hit the ball with the gate. For some reason that really cracked me up.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
AndyWan Kenobi said:
Well, I guess I can kind of see what the fuss is about. It not exactly like making fun of Star Wars "geeks" (a group I definitely identify with). It's a little more touchy, because this is a group that is sensitive about maintaining their own identity and cultural heritage. At the same time, it's just a joke! I always like it when people have a good sense of humor about themselves and don't take themselves too seriously--that one older man who cracked up at everything Triumph said (even after the translator showed up) was okay by me.
Well, they were taking pot-shots at Toronto and the rest of the country and no one got upset. The whole thing has been blown out of proportion - many media reports claimed the audience was booing Quebec. They weren't. They were booing separtists which is entirely different.

It was also funny how ignorant Robert Smigel is - Triumph was dressed up like a Parisian (beret, striped shirt, etc.), which is completely different from a Quebecer. A lot of his insults were actually based on stereotypes of France, not Quebec. He also used a few French terms incorrectly.

I thought the segment was fairly tame by Triumph's standards.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
CNN just (finally) picked up on this story...it was on Wolf Blitzer Reports. It was so bad in terms of getting facts wrong it was laughable. They were confusing the city of Ottawa, the province of Ontario and the federal government here all the way through it.

I mean a lot of Canadians might not even know, but CNN is supposed to be in the news business.

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
I wonder if Conan will acknowledge some of the controversy this has caused on his show Tuesday night. I wouldn't put it past him to acknowledge it and then take everything even further in terms of mockery. He did this once when he was lamely threatened in an interview by Michael Bolton. Man, Michael Bolton took a beating on the show that week!

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I remember that! O'Brien has apparently refused to comment other than his line Friday night about how he was "brought up here to make Don Cherry look good." NBC claims that there is nothing to comment on.