Clifford Appreciation Thread

ploobis

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2006
Messages
1,596
Reaction score
533
Who here loves Clifford? He is one of my favorite Muppet characters by Kevin Clash!

He got his start with the Muppets in 1989 as a bass guitar player in a Muppet Band called "Solid Foam" from The Jim Henson Hour. He ended up becoming an official member of The Muppet gang after words.

Here is a clip from 1990 of Jim Henson with Kermit and Clifford on The Arsenio Hall Show (Promoting the Muppets at Walt Disney World special). Watch how Clifford steals the show!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=y1-PwZltH8E

Then in 1996 Cifford was given the job as the host for "Muppets Tonight". Aside from being cawm and laid-back he had to be in Kermit's shoes and realize how tough it is to run a show. He also lost his shades in "Muppets Tonight". I guess it helped show his reaction to things going on in the show.

Then when "Muppets From Space" came out in 1999 Clifford was given back his shades. Kevin Clash once mentioned that he feels better with Clifford having his shades back. So do I.

I hope we see more of Clifford in future Muppet projects!
 

Speed Tracer

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 24, 2005
Messages
1,338
Reaction score
160
Clifford is really great. Kevin did a fantastic job with him on Muppets Tonight, methinks.
 

ZootyCutie

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 7, 2007
Messages
636
Reaction score
30
Cliiford is awesome. With the Mayhem, Solid Foam, or by himself, he is one cool Muppet.
 

PhsychoChimp

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2006
Messages
191
Reaction score
2
Clifford always was cool. Him and Floyd are the kings of things groovy.
 

CensoredAlso

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2002
Messages
13,453
Reaction score
2,292
The first time I ever saw Clifford was the Ted Danson episode of The Jim Henson Hour. He narrated a sweet little play about not polluting the ocean. He was a great mixture of funny and cooool. :smile:
 

ryhoyarbie

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2002
Messages
3,565
Reaction score
122
I wasn't to thrilled with Clifford hosting Muppets Tonight. I always thought he was a good secondary character like Sam the eagle or Bunsen Honeydew and Beaker.

It wasn't until the christmas movie that came out in 2002 that made me realise that I actually like Clifford and missed him not being in the movie.

I was glad to see him make a cameo appearance in the Wizard Of Oz movie.

If there are any more muppet projects, I hope Clifford is in there with more to do, like how he was in the movie Muppets From Space.

I also prefer Clifford with his shades as well. It adds coolness to him.
 

minor muppetz

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 19, 2005
Messages
16,113
Reaction score
2,679
I had been familiar with Clifford when Mupets Tonight started, but thought he was an odd choice for the host. If the producers didn't want Kermit to host it, they should have at least had a more familiar character (I guess it would have probably been Gonzo and Rizzo) host it instead. I expected Clifford to be on the show (then again, I also expected Scooter, Robin, and Digit to be on the show), but didn't expect him to host.

It's too bad that since Mupets Tonight Clifford has been reduced to being more of a secondary character.
 

BeakerSqueedom

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 23, 2007
Messages
3,569
Reaction score
50
Clifford is one of my faves because he is so zesty! Straight to the point, collected, and is hip.

I quote him:

Clifford: Boy, you guys sure are stupid.

And Andy and Randy Pig: Um no, we are dogs. :smile:
 
Top