Classic Sesame Clips on YouTube

minor muppetz

Reaction score

Was this among the episodes recently found online? Episodes from seasons 1, 10, 12, 20, and 22 have shown up, and like some of those episodes this one has a time code, but the description for this says it is from season 8. Anybody know which episode it's from?

Considering how Snuffy sounds when he sings, I wonder if this episode had Judy Collins singing with Snuffy.

gbrobeck

Reaction score

Was this among the episodes recently found online? Episodes from seasons 1, 10, 12, 20, and 22 have shown up, and like some of those episodes this one has a time code, but the description for this says it is from season 8. Anybody know which episode it's from?

Considering how Snuffy sounds when he sings, I wonder if this episode had Judy Collins singing with Snuffy.
It's from episode 1272 from season 10, which is apparently a repeat of episode 999 from season 8. Judy Collins does not appear.

Drtooth

Reaction score
This has to be the first example of faux-interactivity in kid's shows (and not in the Ding Dong School/Mr. Rogers talking to the audience like a school room teacher type). And it works just as well as you'd expect.

The poem at the beginning is kinda fun, but the following well over 2 minutes of "choose the word" and "choose the picture" is just... ugh. Especially with the wacky guy at the beginning suddenly giving these lines a stern, robotic, cold delivery. Now, it looks like this segment may have been broken up when it actually aired on Sesame Street due to an episode entry on the wiki that has this segment. But overall, this feels like it was totally unnecessary and a real misfire.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Had they just kept the poem, it would have been a whole lot better.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
There's another poem similar to this with "an" words, long enough to get the point across, without the "pick the right word" part.
Actually the animation and Moog sounds in these clips are pretty neat. They even showed more clips like this on The Electric Company, mostly dealing with opposites (thin/fat, big/little, etc.)
Maybe not a total misfire. How about a valiant attempt?

Drtooth

Reaction score
The misfire for me was the early attempt at faux-interactivity. Who'd've thought Sesame Street would be the first children's television show to inflict that, even before the age of personal computers? Never liked that at all, especially in modern kid's shows where it comes as patronizing and awkward. Even then, I really think the problem is that word match segment is that there's one minute of fun poem, 2 minutes of not fun sitting around and waiting for the TV to answer its own question.

But I do like the funky animation and oh so mid-70's Moog sound effects. I mean, let's be honest. That was pretty much made for 1970's and 80's TV vanity plates, but it excelled at sound effects (as any 70's and 80's anime fan could tell you). I especially loved the Ringmaster hosting everything. So yeah, it was a pretty good segment, just a clumsy attempt at being something it's not at the end.

gbrobeck

Reaction score
The misfire for me was the early attempt at faux-interactivity. Who'd've thought Sesame Street would be the first children's television show to inflict that, even before the age of personal computers? Never liked that at all, especially in modern kid's shows where it comes as patronizing and awkward. Even then, I really think the problem is that word match segment is that there's one minute of fun poem, 2 minutes of not fun sitting around and waiting for the TV to answer its own question.

But I do like the funky animation and oh so mid-70's Moog sound effects. I mean, let's be honest. That was pretty much made for 1970's and 80's TV vanity plates, but it excelled at sound effects (as any 70's and 80's anime fan could tell you). I especially loved the Ringmaster hosting everything. So yeah, it was a pretty good segment, just a clumsy attempt at being something it's not at the end.
Am I the only one bothered by the fact there's no such thing as a zet? I mean sure there's a ton of fantasy on Sesame Street, but not usually in a segment that's so straightforwardly educational.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Ehhhh... I let that one slide. It's pretty obvious they're trying to be all Dr. Seuss-y here and sort of succeeding. But I do agree that it would otherwise be strange, it all feels like it is for the sake of the rhyme scheme. The fact it's brought up as a find a word raises my eyebrows.

And for the sake of this thread not going too off topic about one skit, here's an "I've got a Mind" in both its English and Spanish:

cjd874

Reaction score
I love Telly's colossal freak-out in the beginning when he mistakes Little Bird for Big Bird...how can one possibly do that, anyhow? Additionally, it's always great to see Little Bird in ANY street scene. Fran Brill really gets to shine in this episode.

gbrobeck

Reaction score
Ehhhh... I let that one slide. It's pretty obvious they're trying to be all Dr. Seuss-y here and sort of succeeding. But I do agree that it would otherwise be strange, it all feels like it is for the sake of the rhyme scheme. The fact it's brought up as a find a word raises my eyebrows.
Yeah that's the part that bothered me. The poem by itself is fine.