Christmas: Are they shoving it down our throats too early?

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
There’s a lot of good Christmas music that isn’t sung by any pop artists. I’ve found choirs from around the world, and this stuff will not go out of fashion anytime soon.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Finally heard Bob Seger's version of "Little Drummer Boy" today . . . I was beginning to think it was going to be AWOL this season.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I get that religion kind of isn't popular anymore (and honestly, organized religion itself has done a poor job representing itself in recent years), but I do actually find it kind of astounding that some of the younger generations have absolutely no idea that Christmas is, in fact, a religious holiday.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Do they even know that Christmas is meant to be a somewhat real person's birthday? Eh, maybe not since it's written as XMas for the more popular crowd nowadays. Then again, I'm not the biggest fan of religiousity. That's why I leave the religilous-type threads alone, not even wanting to touch them with a glowing radioactive 39 &½ pole.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Society has done a good job of squeezing God out of the picture.
It’s not about religion. It’s not about following a set of rituals and trappings. It’s about having that relationship with God in you. Without that, nothing else matters.

It’s not too hard to see how overcommercialized Christmas has become.
Just about every Christmas special is about Santa, Rudolph ( or those generic Hallmark movies).
One great exception is 1968’s “Little Drummer Boy”. One of the very few glimpses you’ll ever see of the baby Jesus.

I understand kids looking forward to Christmas presents and all that. But there is so much more than that. I do feel sorry for those who don’t see beyond that.
Same with Easter, but that’s for another day.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
The snow we had yesterday melted away. It might be 40 degrees and rainy, but Christmas still came.
Who woulda thunk it?
The presents I get now are usually razors and shaving cream (real exciting stuff, right?) but Christmas still came.

It’s just my wife and me with a turkey in the oven, but Christmas still came.

We have our health, we survived Covid, there might have only been thirty people at church last night, but Christmas still came.

once upon a time, I asked for all things so I could enjoy life.
I was given life, so I could enjoy all things.

I’ve been blessed more ways than I can count.
Merry Christmas everyone.

CoolGuy1013

Reaction score
My family got a few Muppety gifts this Christmas. My sister got me a trash can that opens the same way as Oscar’s, and put an Oscar plush inside of it (which is weird, given how the plush itself was of course in a trash can). And I got my dad a DVD (since it’s not available on Disney+) of his favorite Muppet movie, Muppets From Space (yes, you did read that correctly, his favorite Muppet movie is Muppets From Space).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I mean I hope they'll at least get along with each other; usually already-established house pets don't take kindly to newbies in their territory. I mean, I don't know if that's a problem with birds, but I do know other domesticated animals are like this.